How Do I Use This?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Anonymous1212, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Anonymous1212

Anonymous1212Valued MemberMember

I need to use this Ammonia cycling calculator to figure out how much I need to add to have around 1 ppm of Ammonia.

I have a few questions on the information I have to enter in. For system parameters I'm assuming that it means the parameters of my tank right? What's the system salinity? For the solution, they have a slot for temperature, do I have to measure the temperature of my Ace Hardware brand Ammonia? Will it ruin the probe of my digital thermometer? For the results section, what do they mean by density? It will be on the bottle of ammonia?

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

You want 0 for salinity since this is a freshwater tank you're cycling.

Temp refers to the temp of the water. I suggest setting the heater to 84F to encourage bacteria growth.

You can leave the density blank.

3. OP
    OP
    Anonymous1212

Anonymous1212Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much for clarifying! But I am a teeny bit confused. There's two slots for temperature though, one for the system(which is my tank) but also one for the solution. Do I have to measure the temp for my Ammonia and will it ruin the probe for my digital thermometer?

4. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

The temp will play extremely little role in these calculations, its for density changes of the fluid I believe. Just use room temp (or leave them default). I used this calculator with the 10% Ace brand stuff and it came out near perfect.

5. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

You would just leave the solution temp the same as room temp as mentioned above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice