How Do I Use Tetra Safe Start Plus???

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys I just bought TSS+ and need advice on how to use it. I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 serape tetras and an emerald cory. I have high nitrite levels in my tank this is why I am using it.

Woodsman27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you have the 1.69 oz sized bottle then add the whole thing. If you have the 3.38 oz bottle add a quarter of it. Hope this helps

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pauly27 said:
If you have the 1.69 oz sized bottle then add the whole thing. If you have the 3.38 oz bottle add a quarter of it. Hope this helps
Okay thank you! The directions just seemed too easy to be true so.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TSS is easy to use, but must be used in an exact manner. In you case here is what you should do:
1) Perform a large water change (of even back to back water changes) to get nitrites as close to 0ppm as possible.
2) Wait 24 hours. (This is very important, adding TSS less than 24 hours after a water conditioner was used can cause the TSS to fail).
3) Add the entire, well shaken bottle of TSS to the tank. (Don't worry if your bottle will treat a larger tank...you can't overdose)
4) Do nothing but feed your fish for the next 14 days (no water changes, no adding chemical...nothing)
5) On day 14 test and if all worked properly, you've got a fully cycled tank.

Best of luck!

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Add a sponge filter driven by an air pump for your 10g.

It will give your bacteria a place to colonize. You wont loose your cycle when you toss the cartridge in your filter that way.

Hikari Bacto-Surge and ATI Hydro Sponges are excellent.

I use ATI's, never had a problem with them so far

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdhef said:
TSS is easy to use, but must be used in an exact manner. In you case here is what you should do:
1) Perform a large water change (of even back to back water changes) to get nitrites as close to 0ppm as possible.
2) Wait 24 hours. (This is very important, adding TSS less than 24 hours after a water conditioner was used can cause the TSS to fail).
3) Add the entire, well shaken bottle of TSS to the tank. (Don't worry if your bottle will treat a larger tank...you can't overdose)
4) Do nothing but feed your fish for the next 14 days (no water changes, no adding chemical...nothing)
5) On day 14 test and if all worked properly, you've got a fully cycled tank.

Best of luck!
I changed about 35% of the water 2 days before I added the TSS+, will that effect the results? If the TSS is not effective what should I do next?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nutterbutterkay said:
I changed about 35% of the water 2 days before I added the TSS+, will that effect the results? If the TSS is not effective what should I do next?
You should be fine.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How high is your nitrites?

Make sure you shake the snot out of the bottle. Then shake it again.

You only need 25ml per 10g of tank water. More is ok but if you use less, it might not work.

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DarkOne said:
How high is your nitrites?

Make sure you shake the snot out of the bottle. Then shake it again.

You only need 25ml per 10g of tank water. More is ok but if you use less, it might not work.
It read about 15 ppm, I haven't tested the water since I added the TSS+

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DarkOne said:
Um... your fish would be dead at 15ppm nitrites.
that's what I was told that it may be 1 ppm but my test bottle goes up to 20 for the nitrites. I have the Imaginarium Water Test Strips I want to invest in a master test kit but I don't have the funds currently.

aquatickeeper said:
Are you reading the nitrates? If you're using the API Test kit, the nitrites goes only up to 5 ppm.
I honestly think I got the cheapest Test Strips so they may be faulty.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you dosed TSS with fish in the tank, don't worry about the parameters for a couple of weeks.

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquatickeeper said:
On day 14, the results should read:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: at least some

Remember to do a water change at day 14.
So it is day 14 and my levels are starting to look good. My nitrites are completely gone and my nitrates are going down now. You mentioned doing a water change on day 14 should I do a regular 25% water change?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think your nitrates would go down as it takes months to grow bacteria that converts nitrates (unless you have plants).

How are the fish?

25% w/c is good. You should be doing w/c's weekly.

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DarkOne said:
I don't think your nitrates would go down as it takes months to grow bacteria that converts nitrates (unless you have plants).

How are the fish?

25% w/c is good. You should be doing w/c's weekly.
They are good. They hang out by the filter every once in a while but other than that they are acting normal and eating just fine.

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
Add a sponge filter driven by an air pump for your 10g.

It will give your bacteria a place to colonize. You wont loose your cycle when you toss the cartridge in your filter that way.

Hikari Bacto-Surge and ATI Hydro Sponges are excellent.

I use ATI's, never had a problem with them so far
I tried looking at my local pet store for these and couldn't fine them. Would an air-stone hold beneficial bacteria?

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Unfortunately an air stone will not do that.

Sponge filters are readily available online, at places such as Amazon, Ken's Fish and Dr. Foster and Smith.

Many times local stores don't stock them, they would rather you buy a more expensive powered filter.

ATI and Hakari (Bacto-Surge) are some of the more common ones.

Be sure to look at the dimensions when selecting one for your 10g.

I have the ATI HydroSponge II in my 10g along with a Topfin Silentstrean 20 HOB filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom