How do I use Clove Oil for Betta Euthanasia???

Ouskamp
I have watched my bloated Betta for 3 or so weeks now. Yesterday he pineconed. Watching him suffer is torture for us both. I spoke with the "fish expert" at Petco and she said that euthanizing him would be the most humane thing to do at this point.

Has anyone used Clove Oil for euthanasia with their Betta? Will you please provide me with instructions?

Thank you so much for your help with this very difficult decision.

Advertisement
Mazeus
I'm really sorry about your betta. What I do is put the fish in a small tub ( a litre ish). Then I use my API test tube and mix 3 drops of clove oil with some tank water in the tube. Shake this until well mixed. I then add that to the fish in the litre container. This will put the fish into a "coma" I then refill the API tube with water and do another 6 drops of oil and shake, and add that to the water. After a few minutes, you will see the gills stop moving. Leave the fish in the water for another 30 mins to ensure it has expired.

Advertisement
Ouskamp
I'm really sorry about your betta. What I do is put the fish in a small tube ( a litre ish). Then I use my API test tube and mix 3 drops of clove oil with some tank water in the tube. Shake this until well mixed. I then add that to the fish in the litre container. This will put the fish into a "coma" I then refill the API tube with water and do another 6 drops of oil and shake, and add that to the water. After a few minutes, you will see the gills stop moving. Leave the fish in the water for another 30 mins to ensure it has expired.
Thank you for your help. I want to put his little log in with him. He loves it in there. This is going to be hard.

Mazeus
Thank you for your help. I want to put his little log in with him. He loves it in there. This is going to be hard.
I know, I am so sorry. I had a bacterial infection in my tank about a month ago, I had to put down so many fish, it was really hard. Do something nice to remember him, that's my tip.

Debbie1986
It's never easy. I'm very sorry you are going through this. Just know you aren't alone.

These fish really do impact your heart. Deepest sympathy.

Ouskamp
I know, I am so sorry. I had a bacterial infection in my tank about a month ago, I had to put down so many fish, it was really hard. Do something nice to remember him, that's my tip.
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine! I don't know how I continue to lose Bettas when I do weekly water changes, monitor their water with my API test kit, etc. It's mindboggling, upsetting and heartbreaking.

Advertisement

Ouskamp
That was the MOST difficult thing I've had to do. But I'm glad that Shasta is now at peace..his soul swimming along without pain or suffering.

Thank you so much for your help during this very difficult time. I don't think I could have done it without the support of those who have been through it themselves.

Namaste.

StarGirl
Yeah it is so hard but you don't want them to suffer either. Hugs.

Ouskamp
Thank you.

Elkwatcher
Sorry for your loss Ouskamp .. I'm sure he was a special Betta to you. Something to remember, I keep my container or anything else I use with Clove Oil separate as it's hard to remove the oil from anything after, if you use a test tube to mix you would mark it and keep it just for euthanasia's. You wouldn't want to put his special log back in your tank after if you put it in the oil solution. Thoughts are with you.

Advertisement

Ouskamp
Thank you. I threw away his log. I don't plan to buy anymore Bettas. It's just too painful.

The tubes are soaking in Dawn and water. Should remove the oil residue but I'll be sure to check them carefully (use a lot of essential oils at work and this seems to do a great job of removing oil).

Thank you for reaching out. I appreciate it. It hasn't been a great day.

Debbie1986
Thank you. I threw away his log. I don't plan to buy anymore Bettas. It's just too painful.

The tubes are soaking in Dawn and water. Should remove the oil residue but I'll be sure to check them carefully (use a lot of essential oils at work and this seems to do a great job of removing oil).

Thank you for reaching out. I appreciate it. It hasn't been a great day.
Again, very sorry for your loss. Remember the special bond you had and try to not feel guilty. You did the best you could with what knowledge & resources you had. That's the frustration with the hobby, sometimes you try & try but are helpless.

I'm really big into seeing death as moving to a new transition. modern life alienates us from it, but death is natural.

I bury my pets in my garden. My Nanday Conure Sydney I had for 21 years. He was a huge part of my life. He lies under a Japanese maple, so he's now part of that tree.

Nothing disappears, it transmutes. My fish are in a flower gardens. Circle of life.

Ouskamp
Again, very sorry for your loss. Remember the special bond you had and try to not feel guilty. You did the best you could with what knowledge & resources you had. That's the frustration with the hobby, sometimes you try & try but are helpless.

I'm really big into seeing death as moving to a new transition. modern life alienates us from it, but death is natural.

I bury my pets in my garden. My Nanday Conure Sydney I had for 21 years. He was a huge part of my life. He lies under a Japanese maple, so he's now part of that tree.

Nothing disappears, it transmutes. My fish are in a flower gardens. Circle of life.
Thank you so much.

We are very much alike in how we see death. I have a beautiful potted Jasmine 'tree' that I bring in every Winter and take back outside each Spring (but I'm getting older and it's getting bigger!). I bury all my fish and snails there. I also have a graveyard in my backyard from all the birds my dog captured and those that nature took.

Thank you for taking time to post. Your kindness and thoughtfulness made a difficult day better in knowing I'm not alone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 3.13.50 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 3.13.50 PM.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 30
fernan1001
Thank you all for this post.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PlanetRock
Replies
Views