How Do I Turn A 10g Freshwater Tank To Brackish Safely?

SunEater
Hi, I found out my mom got some "freshwater" fiddler crabs for her 10 gallon platy tank. After looking into it, I found out that the fiddlers are actually supposed to be in brackish water and was wondering if I could convert the freshwater tank with the 3 platies into brackish without harming them. After reading some sites, I learned that platies can live with some amount of salt, but I'm not sure if the sites meant aquarium or marine salt and wanted some clearer info before I did anything. I also read that the salinity should be between 1.005-1.010. Would this harm the platies? And how much/how quickly should I raise the salinity for the 10g?

Currently there are only the 3 platies and 1 crab that's made it a couple months. The crab has hiding places, and sturdy plants he climbs on to get out of the water and has molted once so far.

Blitzar
Aquarium and marine salt are the same, if I'm not mistaken. The platies should be able to handle brackish water, but I'm not the most experienced in that field.

Aqua Hands
Aquarium and marine salt are the same, if I'm not mistaken. The platies should be able to handle brackish water, but I'm not the most experienced in that field.
aquarium salt is for freshwater diseases. Marine salt if what you want!

Platylover
I don't think platies are going to do to well in brackish, they may tolerate it, but that's it and I could see it having consequences through their life. For converting it has to be done extremely slowly(and with marine salt, not table salt) around .002 per two weeks from my understanding. Again, wouldn't suggest doing this with platies.

Terabyte
Ermmm plus fiddler crabs must have an access to air as they aren't 100 percent water dwelling crabs

Edit: Sorry didnt see you already had that covered

SunEater
I don't think platies are going to do to well in brackish, they may tolerate it, but that's it and I could see it having consequences through their life. For converting it has to be done extremely slowly(and with marine salt, not table salt) around .002 per two weeks from my understanding. Again, wouldn't suggest doing this with platies.
Dang. I was hoping, but I'm glad I checked. I currently have a 55 gallon of my own cycling, so I may end up moving the platies there and fixing the 10 gallon for the fiddler. Thank you for the replies!

SunEater
Ermmm plus fiddler crabs must have an access to air as they aren't 100 percent water dwelling crabs

Edit: Sorry didnt see you already had that covered
No problem!

CanadianJoeh
If I'm not mistaken, fiddler crabs need fairly large tanks. Not sure a 10 gallon will be okay long term.

I wouldn't try platies in brackish personally.

Marine/Reef salt is what you want. Aquarium salt is useless. It is table salt in a carton.

SunEater
If I'm not mistaken, fiddler crabs need fairly large tanks. Not sure a 10 gallon will be okay long term.

I wouldn't try platies in brackish personally.

Marine/Reef salt is what you want. Aquarium salt is useless. It is table salt in a carton.
10g seems the be the minimum requirement, but I know how that goes with bettas so if I can, I'll get him a bigger tank later on. I'm more worried about getting him in the right water environment for now, so I'll have to figure out some rearranging and get him a temporary set up.
And I thought that was it with the aquarium salt. Some sites seemed to use them interchangeably though, so I wanted to be sure.
Thank you for your reply

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
  • Question
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views