How do i tune my protein skimmer

Stefonn.Papi
I just got a replacement instant ocean protein skimmer and how do I tune it, and make it work, i know it takes a couple of days to start foaming up on the top and is there a way to stop the micro bubbles coming out of the protein skimmer?

Frank the Fish guy
You have to put a piece of foam on the outlet. No more micro bubbles in the tank.

Stefonn.Papi
Frank the Fish guy said:
You have to put a piece of foam on the outlet. No more micro bubbles in the tank.

thank you, one more question if i turn the air valve the cup gets a lot of foam but the cup would get full of water reslly fast, am i doing this right?

Frank the Fish guy
No that's too much. You want froth but no water to collect in the cup. That is how you skim off the proteins. The proteins are on the surface of the bubbly froth.

Stefonn.Papi
Frank the Fish guy said:
No that's too much. You want froth but no water to collect in the cup. That is how you skim off the proteins. The proteins are on the surface of the bubbly froth.
I think i did it right, where the foam is coming out it is half way full but foam isn’t going into the cup, is that correct?

Frank the Fish guy
Check out the video. He has it set right. See how the froth sort of pops and sprays into the cup to collect the protein. No water in the cup, just protein skimmed off the exploding bubbles. You have to check it and make adjustments as needed over time.

Jesterrace
Keep in mind that all skimmers will have a break in period where they get adjusted, so don't be surprised if you have to play with the flow a bit over the next 7-10 days.

Latest threads

Top Bottom