How Do I Tell If My Female Platy Is Pregnant And When She Will Drop Her Fry?

GuppyLdy2016

I have a female platy that has a fat belly, and squared off a little but even though she is light in colour I still can't see much of a gravid spot...As I had just brought her home, I don't know if she is pregnant or just been overfed at the store where I bought her. If I post a pic, is it possible someone may be able to help me out here??? I'm not a complete beginner but still have lots to learn. She has to be pregnant because she was the only female the pet store guy could find in a tank full of males

Putting the platys aside for a minute I also have a couple other things I kind of felt I should get advice on:

As well I have some pregnant female guppies, (one of them is in a breeding net because she was showing some peculiar behaviour and I think she may be close to having them even though she's not as large as the others, to me, she seems more "square" then the others) and when I got them from a friend a few weeks ago he told me and my husband that they had all three just dropped fry, so how close could they be to having their fry???

As for pics, I have to wait to upload them until I can find the cord that works with my laptop and cell phone lol.... However I do have some grainy looking pics that are of the old tank they were in. They are now in their own 20G, versus having to share a tank temporarily with a weird Puffer 8 fish.

When I say weird, I mean weird. My puffer 8 prefers the freshwater over the brackish I was told by his previous owner, he and his mate didnt do so well in the brackish (his mate actually died), and as soon as he had gradually aclimated (did I say that right?) the puffer to the freshwater, he was back to his normal self.....not to mention he isn't nearly as aggressive towards other fish as puffers should be. He has shared his tank with the guppies and 4 tetras for a couple weeks now and I still own the same amount of fish other then him as what I put in there.....he seems to only want to go after snails, bloodworms, etc etc his normal diet, but he leaves the fish alone. Weird or ??? But he is now back to having his own tank and very happy about it I might add.

If I am not sure about anything, I'll be sure to come back on here and see what's up.

ps. Please don't need any "lectures" about my guppies being in a jar lol They were only in the jar long enough for me to get a close up picture of the gravid spot. I could only catch the one so until I get other better pics up, these two will have to do for now, but these pics were taken about 2 or 3 days ago (guppies)

Attachments

• Picture0017.jpg
    Picture0017.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 365
  • Picture0014.jpg
    Picture0014.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 277

vijay3242

To answer the first question she should have a black gravid spot. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the big retail 4(swordtails,guppies,platies,mollies) to drop fry. And since she was already pregnant I think probably a week or less
The second question answer probably the normal time for any livebearer. Guppies and other live bearers have the ability to keep sperm from previous matings in their body and use it again for another batch of fry.
Not sure about the puffer have never had one

GuppyLdy2016

I apologize if they all look the same, but I can only do so much with a laptop webcam lol I just snapped some pics of them swimming around, but if you have good eyes you can see all my preggers.... the guppies and my gold twinbar platy female.

My female gold twin bar platy was in a tank full of just males....she was the one single female the LFS guy could find. Its almost impossible for her NOT to be pregnant lol but right now I am a little more concerned about my pregnant female guppies......they were given to me approximately 3 weeks ago or so, and I was told by the previous owner that they had just dropped fry, so how long now maybe before they drop these ones that they are pregnant with??? I'm so impatient when it comes to the fry being born, its kinda cool to watch.
ps. I had her in the jar at the time so I could get a close up pic of her....I'm using a laptop webcam and it sucks lol this pic was snapped about 3 to 4 days ago, not quite sure. Gravid spot turned from a darker colour to this bright orangy-red colour. The babies are big enough that I can clearly see the large eyes in her abdomen so it can't be too much longer now.....my other females are pretty much around her size. I know you can't tell by this pic what she looks like right now because I can't get this close of a pic (I don't want to stress her out anymore) but her abdomen looks quite big and kinda "square"ish. I sound like an anxious father in the waiting room ....

Attachments

• Picture0021.jpg
    Picture0021.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Picture0022.jpg
    Picture0022.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 204
  • Picture0023.jpg
    Picture0023.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Picture0024.jpg
    Picture0024.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Picture0025.jpg
    Picture0025.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Picture0026.jpg
    Picture0026.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Picture0027.jpg
    Picture0027.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Picture0017.jpg
    Picture0017.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture0015.jpg
    Picture0015.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Picture0016.jpg
    Picture0016.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 163

DappleSunBurst77890

She is pregnant!! She will maybe give birth in a month at most.... You do not need to see a gravid spot to know if she is pregnant or not... Best of luck and congratulations on your soon to be fry family

GuppyLdy2016

The orange and black platy in the tank is the male....my female is a gold twin bar platy...beautiful platy's!!! pic is attached. We also have a figure 8 puffer in his own tank.

Attachments

• gold twin bar platy.jpg
    gold twin bar platy.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 548
  • figure 8 puffer.jpg
    figure 8 puffer.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 240

GuppyLdy2016

ps. these aren't pics of my actual fish lol pics I found on google of what they look like since I can't get clear pics of them

DappleSunBurst77890

Lol... It's so cool you have a puffer fish!!

GuppyLdy2016

yeah, he's got quite the personality too the little bugger lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Sokamix
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Sokamix
  • Question
  • PurityNWhiteRoses
  • Platy
Replies