How do I take care of my first breeding shrimp?

sslliitthheerr

i want shrimp and i want to breed them for profit but I don't know where to get them from or how to take care of them, I also live in pleasant valley, New York.

ruud

Profit...hmmm.

Perhaps reach out to larger breeders such as Ebi Tengu to acquire the more expensive Pintos / Fishbones. Buy lots of breeder tanks. Prepare a room for your tanks with steady 73-ish F year round. Purchase a big RO system for steady soft water parameters. Et cetera.

Perhaps you mean pocket money. You can start smaller, but I find the effort it takes to communicate, make appointments, wait for people to arrive, or send by mail, too much a hassle and time-consuming. The (hidden) costs cannot be earned back.

Edit: I see one of your other posts in which you mention you are a youngster ;)
You can start off with a tank with neocaridina shrimp to get the hang of it. Thin layer of substrate (any will do); lots of plants; cool oxygen rich water; few dry leaves; tap water; preferably the tank has algae/biofilm, if not (yet), then purchase shrimp food; at min. 70 F chances are they'll breed.

Blacksheep1

I agree with what’s said above. I’d say start with rilli’s, orange usually sell the best. They are still neo’s and need the same care as above. Rcs are fine in any colour variety but don’t mix the colours ! They’ll revert back to wild type colours which is usually a muddy brown.

pick one colour and stick to it. Spend some time letting your tank establish before you buy any shrimp for your best chance of them surviving. Acclimate them slowly, as you’re younger you don’t want to be wasting money on shrimp that’ll die on you, I don’t mean that to sound condescending because that’s 100% not how I mean it. But if you’re breeding for profit then don’t risk wasting any money.

you could also approach a lfs and ask if they are willing to take shrimp from you either for cash or store credit. If store credit you can spend on food / water conditioner etc and sell others online or locally for cash .

you could get some ( 3 or 4 used or dollar per gallon sales ) 5 or 10 G tanks and do 3 or 4 colours of neo’s to start with until you progress. If you buy sponge filters you could get one strong air pump and run them all off the one to save on electricity costs. Veggies blanched and frozen in bulk to feed could help too.
Good luck !!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishTankFanatic
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views
Rtessy