How do I stop my larger angelfish from nipping the slightly smaller new one?

1. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

I'm afraid they will kill him...

Here's a pic:

New one Arrow-
    [​IMG]

Previous ones Pine(normal) and Malibu(deformed)
    [​IMG]

All genders are unidentified
    Help me with the genders too if possible

Thanks!

As you can see in Arrow's picture, Pone was passing above.

I forgot to mention Malibu is female, having seen her laying eggs, which she has not done so far this for the past two weeks.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It won't stop if you have 3 angels in a tank. 3 angels is never a good idea, as two will bully the one. This will be particularly bad if the two have paired up, or have been in the tank for a while before you add the third. I'd rehome the one being bullied as soon as possible, before they kill or seriously injure him.

3. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

Aww

That's to bad, they usually get used to other fish, I added a new Mollie, they hate all new fish, idk if it's the same case but after awhile they stopped nipping the Mollie,
    The new angelfish is small enough to escape them anyway so I will see how it goes, if it goes badly I will re-house but angelfish.

4. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Whats your tank size? You could get more angelfish and help spread the aggression im sorry about ur poor lil angel :'(

5. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

50 gallons or so, I will most likely get a blue angel soon.

Can anyone identify the genders of these fish?

I'm curious

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It's not going to get better, and if you don't rehome him, you'll come home to a dead or severely injured angel. Angelfish kept in 3s almost never work out in the long run (with the exceptions being very large 100+ gallon tanks).

What's the footprint of the tank? Not sure I'd add a 4th either, if the two orange ones are paired.

7. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

https://vimeo.com/170546860

It's large, I'm not good at gallons but that was my estimate, I will show my hand up to the tank,

[​IMG]

They won't get much bigger, according to the breeder, who said he bred them to be small

[​IMG]

Why are they all afraid of my phone case?

I had to take it off so they wouldn't freak while I was taking pictures

8. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

The glare and the phone is probably bigger than them so they are more skittish. Thats my guess lol

9. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Having 4 angels in a 55g, I can tell you personally, I would rehome the new angel instead of getting a fourth.
    Luckily ive talked my bestie in restarting his 50g, in which im giving one of my pair to (so I can still see them grow which im very happy about) :)
    IMHO theres just not enough personal space for 4 in a 55. They dont beat eachother up, they just dont have enough personal space..

So my recommendation, with you having a 50g and the fact that angels should never be in trios, is rehome the new angel and save you the trouble that im going through now.
    Good luck!

Btw, for your phone case, its pretty shiny and the snake print probably makes them think its a predator. Just a theory :)

10. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

Idk how many gallons, looks at the pic of my hand and the tank

OMG LOLOLOL THE SMALL ONE JIST NIPPED THE BIG ONE BACK, NOW THE BIG ONES ARE COWERING IN THE CORNER

11. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Can you at least measure the outside of the tank, to give at least a estimation of dimensions and that can also be used to get estimated gallons.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? It doesn't look 48" long, and I wouldn't keep more than 2 angels in a tank shorter than 48".

I agree, I tried 4 angels in a 55 gal too and it didn't work out. The pair kept the other two in a corner and chased them if they came out of it. Please rehome this one and don't add a fourth.

And I've never heard of mini angels. I'm not sure I'd believe the breeder. He may have bred the parents young when they weren't full grown.

13. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

Ok!

50 by 38 by 18

That's what I measures

14. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Length width height?

15. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Is that in inches?

16. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

Yes and yes

17. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

In that order? Or is it different order?

18. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

In order

So!?!? What is it about the tank

19. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Alright so I am using the fishlore conversion calculator here:

https://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm

Your hands must be much bigger then I thought with those dimensions I am getting about a 148 gallon tank which just doesn't make sense to me lol. I know some inches need to be taken off for the inside dimensions. I'm looking at my own 40 gallon breeder and from your picture and hand it seem like your tank is closer to that then over 100 gallons.

Others feel free to weigh in.

20. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

Ok! Lol