How do I sex my yellow golden back shrimps? Question 

FRANCOSEB

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve recently bought 3 golem back shrimps that are about 0.75 - 1 inch and I was wanting to sex them because I want to make myself a big colony. I’ve researched a little bit and found that the female should have a “saddle” and males should be somewhat smaller and have less colours. All my shrimp seem pretty colourful and one seem a little smaller than other but I can’t seem to find any saddle since there’s cart colourful and have Thisbe white strip on there back thefore I can’t see any saddle. Need help !!

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sexing Neocaridina is the same regardless of colour. If your shrimp have very solid colouration it might be difficult to see a saddle through the carapace- however the presence of a racing stripe (the white strip you mentioned) pretty much guarantees that you're looking at a female. The male would be smaller and have a thinner abdomen. If you have high quality shrimp a male is not guaranteed to be less colourful.

Personally I think it's better to start with more than three shrimp if at all possible. I'd recommend at least six, but more is better. However, three might be enough to start a colony if you're lucky.

FRANCOSEB

Reaction score
Hello thank you for your response!
I believe I have 2 females and 1 male, as you can see in the photo where there’s 2 shrimp, one is a little less colourful and is a little smaller. I believe I do see a saddle on the big one . The shrimp that alone in the picture seem more like a female.
FF608D40-9F2B-4AB9-96EC-04CE508D240A.jpeg
0F0A600D-5EA9-49EA-8BAF-5D85807F9B1E.jpeg

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd actually say that's three females. It's not really the size that tells you which sex you have (as shrimp are smaller when younger, of course) but rather the shape of the abdomen. Boys have a straight or upwardly curved line at the belly and females have a downward curve at the belly.

I'd say you've got two mature females (I say "mature" because of the racing stripe) and one female that's younger. The one you're thinking was male has a clear downward curve. The other one in the first pic has a visible saddle.

However, looking at the second pic, it looks like there is a slight possibility that the female in that pic is berried, going by the bulge around her belly area. If that's the case, you have babies on the way and don't need to worry anymore. If you could get a clear side view of her I'd be able to tell you for sure.

If she's not berried, I'm afraid you'll have to get a few more if you want them to breed.

FRANCOSEB

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response, to be honest I’m pretty sure there not berried since I’ve yet to see any eggs in you belly but maybe I’m wrong. 2 shrimps, different angles.
7B2EB783-1027-411E-91D0-725F1029440E.jpeg
397EF6C7-ABEE-4A42-BE85-F8FC1B72597B.jpeg
9FF56A60-FD74-4233-90B9-D068E23229AF.jpeg
FADF7A81-957F-4B5E-9CC0-27918A8B63A7.jpeg

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, they don't look to be berried yet. I'm afraid you'll have to purchase a male if you want babies. The good news is that the adults can live for 1.5 years so if the expense is a problem, you have some time to save up. Again, I'd advise you to get several more as shrimps feel safer in groups, which means they will be more likely to breed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom