How do I set up bio sponge filter for fry

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Bio-Spon...230376426?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item258a144dea

I have this sponge filter which I want to use on V's tank instead of the HOB. But, really, all I have is the filter, air pump and standard airline tubing. Need to grab a check valve I suppose. I still feel like I'm missing something. Looks like the airline tubing connects to the little output on the water-air flow output manifold, right? But the right angle duct? What in the world am I supposed to do with that? It's large and looks like it needs to be somehow protected.

Trying to find a video. I feel like this should be easier for me, but my brain is basically mush right now, totally focused on my septic ranchus, and I can't get it together to think about much else :\

2. mg13 Well Known Member Member

You should try to relax, like, really, maybe do some yoga, or go out with a friend, you need some rest..

3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yeah, i should, but it's not really going to happen right now. I'll rest when they're better. But there's not much I can do at this moment in time. They've been medicated and fed and now it's just the waiting game till tomorrow when it starts all over again. In the mean time, I just want to do something proactive.

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have one of those. Attach the airline tubing to the little output and plonk it in. I always put a sponge over the output, I had a guppy who made it his life's ambition to sleep in that thing!

Hope your brain let's you rest eventually. Maybe a few seconds whilst you have a brew :) x

5. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I rest when they recover. It doesn't help that I have a million things to do for nursing school all at once. I have been sleeping downstairs (no "with the fishes" puns permitted here :p) and that means at 5a Brian's grandpa shows up and turns the television up to a million decibels.

Okay so I really do have everything then? Putting the sponge over the output doesn't stifle the surface disruption much? I know he's a betta but I want some air in there to keep nasty anaerobes at bay.

Funny thing is, I'm not much of a drinker. Don't really care for the taste of alcohol. But I may just yet.

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Bless you. You'll get there and you may even get a good night's sleep one day!

It's up to you if you want to baffle it. If V is bigger than the hole it will probably be okay, my only problem was with a guppy who tried to swim into it but the current always pushed him out. You could place it above the water so it sort of dribbles in like a water fall?

I don't drink myself, tastes icky. But I know what you mean, my fish often have me wondering whether a nice glass of wine would help!xx

7. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Ha that's cause you're like me - a white spot is ALWAYS going to be columnaris before it's anything else. Unfortunately, this time, my first thought was septicemia and then I was all "nooo...septicemia?! NO WAY" and then it is septicemia, and that's not going to help make me any less crazy.

I didn't think about putting it above the water line, that's a good call, I'll have to see how it does. V could definitely get himself in there. He's like 60% fins and his little body is, well, little. He looks like a tadpole sort of from above, with his thicker head and his tiny, skinny body. He's also a wedger, I could definitely see him trying to cram himself in there and I do recall that one horror story on here about a betta who got himself shoved in a filter intake and lost all his fins (he survived!).

It's kind of a funny image though - your poor guppy trying to swim in, get blown back out.

8. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

As much as I always think the worst, it never has been the worst so I can't imagine what you're going through. It will make you even more sensitive to the slightest issue, it will reinforce all those thoughts in your head that you dread. But it will also make you a better fish keeper. I mean, I kept a Goldie in a tiny tank for 5 years and it 'thrived'. It's not until you start to research that you discover the wealth of knowledge there is to be learned but, it also gives you a wealth of knowledge you sometimes wish you didn't have. Like you say, a white spot will always be Columnaris before it's anything else. I kind of wish I didn't know what it was so I wasn't looking for it although, I am pleased I do know, just in case! Sorry babbling again!

I wouldn't want the big tube just in the tank. Especially considering how things are going for you, it's just asking for another problem! Percy is too chunky to fit in that hole, but he used to sit in the out flow pipe of his current filter (I once thought he was stuck in it but he was just chilling) so I dropped the water line as the filter doesn't have an adjustable height and that stopped him sitting in it.

I can't believe that Betta survived. They are such strong fish!

It was lucky he spent all his time trying to get in there. He had three ladies at the time who never got pregnant. The filter mission obviously kept him very busy!x

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yeah I think i am going to put it above the water line, as you suggested. Handy, those suction cups. I am also going to lower his s water level. With the floating plants he seems to pretty much prefer the surface full time, the water wisteria has almost covered it, except when he prefers to bury himself in the subwassertang. And I mean BURY himself. Ha. Well that will be the plan for this weekend then.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Perce is the same. Won't move away from his Salvinia roots! Unless I'm feeding him, of course. I can barely see him some days he's so lost in there. Going to get him some Subwassertang... sounds like Bettas love it. I'm planting a 7Gal for a new Betta at the moment so I'll be stocking up on supplies.

The LFS the other side of town I mentioned was truly awful. Like, I left in tears awful. I won't be going back. I'm surprised I managed to leave empty handed but, they were past my care I'm afraid. I shall continue to shop on eBay, I don't like LFSs, I've decided.

Enjoy figuring the filter out :)

11. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

As for your sponge filters, those are great, I use them and love them. I don't think you want to put a sponge over the output. That would diminish the flow a good bit. You don't need to worry about any fish swimming into it, as the outflow of water will prevent them from doing so. They may try to peak there head in there, but they will have a strong force against them pushing them out. I have never heard of a fish hurting themselves or getting stuck in a sponge filter, they are safest filters out there, that is why so many use them for fry and/or shrimp. I also think you should submerge the entire filter, including the output. Putting the output above the water line would also diminish the flow a bit, as it is having to raise water above the water line. The output on those is angled so you can point it wherever you want, to help make a bit of current. It helps direct the water away from the sponge filter so it can suck up new, unfiltered water. I use it in a corner of my tank so none of my floating plants get stuck there, it blows them away from the corner.

12. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I agree with everything you say but, some fish will try anything!

I used a coarse sponge over the output, the guppy never made it in without it though I must admit.

And on using my current filter for the betta, he DID get in there a lot (it isn't this filter but the output is very similar) and I had no choice but to put the output above the water line, I'm happy I did because I can sleep easy now. You ideally should submerge the entire filter however this is sometimes not possible.x

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Well there's a pretty simple solution. Try it out as it is meant to be setup. No sponge, fully submerged. Observe and adjust as needed. As long as I don't stuff food in it lol I am pretty sure V won't mess with it too much.

Is one of these things really adequate filtration for a 10g tank?

14. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Yes it should be good for a 10 gallon tank. If you have any plants in there too, you are definitely good. What is the stocking of the 10 gallon tank? Assuming it isn't over stocked you should be good.

These filters are great. I like how you can stagger the cleaning of the 2 sponges, doing one this week, and other sponge next week. This makes sure the bacteria isn't too disturbed at one time. The sponges just slide right off, and you can squeeze them repeatedly in tank water, or new tap water that has been dechlorinated.

Also, something else I figured out. After running this filter for a quite a few months, I noticed less bubbles coming out and diminished flow. I thought something was wrong with my air pump. After further inspection, it was actually the small hole on inside of main central tube that the air enters the tube. It is right after the little attachment the air tubing attaches to. Where the air enters the tube is a very small hole for air to pass through, well this was getting clogged up with some gunk over time. The pieces easily come apart and I used a test tube brush to clean it out, and it's back to working great again. If it was really gunky in there perhaps a toothpick would help to clean it out good too.

15. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Dolfan it's just a single betta, king of the castle. And yes plants are present. Everything you sent me plus a moss ball and water wisteria that's pretty much taken over the surface.

Thanks for the cleaning tips!

16. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Your betta should be very happy then, haha!

17. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Okay, that settles it then! I'm replacing the filter tomorrow. His cycle is whacked anyway from treating the fin rot and the HOB, even baffled, creates too much current. Hopefully he stays out of the output.

Thank you!

18. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure he'll be fine. As I say, the guppy never actually made it in! lots of love.x

19. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Ehhhh he's pretty crafty though haha. I'm almost wondering if I should wait until the fins heal. He is really sensitive to stress. But I think this filter will be less stressful overall. Tomorrow is a big tank maintenance day for all of the tanks.

20. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

If you have any bacteria booster like TSS or Seachem Stability this will help when you transition to the new filter.