How Do I Set Up A 5 Gallon Tank And How Much Will It Cost?

CatfishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I decided that instead of thinking of how big a fish I can cram into a 20 gallon, I should just go small! I was watching my betta destroying some flakes a few days ago and I thought, "you know what? I should get another one!" and I've looked at so many threads with these beautiful bettas and how their tails grow spectacular in a few short months. I have always known that a 5 gallon is the bare minimum for a betta so I'm thinking of getting a good starter kit and doing everything properly. Scaping the tank while it's completely dry, giving the fish the proper nutrients, etc.

Enough rambling, I just want to know any 5 gallon tanks you could recommend me. I only have space for 5 gallons and I want to give the betta the most room possible.

I also want to know which stage of life I should buy a betta at, a baby or an adult, and if I should buy a female or male. The best 'LFS' I have that isn't over 2 hours away is Petco and they sell babies and adults of both sexes. I might've confused you a bit and I'm sorry for that but please make sense of this and send me all the advice and help you can! Thank you!

Edit: What's the best food I can get for a betta?

amariel9

Valued Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, this is a fairly popular choice , SolidGold on youtube has a video about setting up a betta tank and caring for it, and she goes over some information about that tank.

As far as which stage of life you should buy a betta at, or if you should buy a female or male, I think that comes down to personal preference. I have heard it's easier to determine the sex of bettas when they're a bit older, and that it's very common for pet stores to sex them incorrectly at a very young age. I bought my betta, a male, when he was fully grown, and it's worked out fine for me, although I can imagine watching it grow up would be fun and rewarding as well.

Also sorry if this isn't very helpful, but I wish you the best of luck!!

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a ~5g betta planted tank right now. I have a sponge filter, a 50w adjustable heater, and I decorated the area around the heater with with some seachem matrix. I've been looking for a small hang on back filter, but so far the one I tried, while powerful, didn't fit correctly. There's some ohko stone, a piece of petrified wood, and a clay pipe thing to provide a hide. I have a 25 dollar light, (wattage not listed) that seems to be keeping the various plants happy, with the addition of a fair amount of indirect sunlight. The tank is 10x10x11.

I use to to grow plants and act as a convalescent home for my female bettas if there's a bad fight. I think Tut Tut might have to retire to it though, she's an elephant ear and the other girls resent her beauty. I think she hates it though. She does little exploring and just surfs the glass all day. It's exhausting to watch. I thought it might be a water problem, but the guppy I put in there today seems happy enough. ...At least she hasn't killed him, like she did with the shrimp. (He's pretty subdued for a male, but also only two months old, and just this week hit puberty and became recognizable as male.)

Otherwise, it's decorate to taste.

I do weekly water changes of 50%, and use tetra aqua plus or something, with Stability.

Baby bettas are fun to watch grow up. I got one before Petco started labeling male or female, and never did figure out which it was - I gave it to my friend's kid to watch while I was deployed, the cat ate it.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a betta in a fluval spec. It's a nice little tank. What I like about it is that it is long and thin, so more swimming space for the fish. They aren't the cheapest option, if that is a concern for you have a look for people selling used tanks, you may be able to get a deal.

johnbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
with the tank size u have a young male would be better the males have better fins i would buy a young one as older bettas dont live that long thats my opinion as a fighter breeder some females look good to

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get a complete all in one kit for roughly $30.00 at most big box stores. Lights, filter, generally even a few sample packs of supplies. They are plain glass rectangles with cheap plastic tops, but as a starting point, they're pretty handy, in case of random fish. (The same applies for the 10 gallon, btw, and they generally cost the same.)

I would spring for the 10 gallon, personally. I have upgraded both of my bettas to them over the last year, and they seem to enjoy the space.

There is more room for plants and "furniture" which bettas enjoy lounging on. Plus, if your betta permits it, you can have some shrimp and small snails.

Bettafishies126

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have the topfin 5 gallon imagine kit and it's a really pretty bowfront tank that comes with a hood, lights, a filter, and 3 carbon cartridges. It also has a divider if you ever wanted to divide it for whatever reason lol. Also, I've gotten 2 bettas as adults and 1 as a baby and they're delightfully small and cute as babies they make a 5 gallon look like a 50 gallon and you get to watch them grow, so I'd suggest getting a baby!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom