How do I set my guppy strain?

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 26-gallon bowfront aquarium and I acquired some nebula steel guppies from aquabid on December 5, 2019. They have since grown and begun reproducing. Now that my baby males are coloring up I have noticed that none of my fry have looked quite like the adults. The adults have a small amount of black to them and have nice patterning. The babies are nothing like that. I have noticed new red colors and the black on the babies seems to be quite a bit more extensive than the original males. I have quarantined one of the males that had way too much black for my liking thinking that it was an oddball. It wasn't and others kept appearing with more black. To this day I have yet to come across a baby that it lighter in coloring like the original males.

How should I breed my guppies to get the same color as I originally had? Will the black color keep expanding on my guppies?

This is a more unrelated question but are my guppies nebula steel guppies or are they galaxy guppies?

I have attached photos of my original males and the one alone in the net is the type of male I seem to be getting from my fry drops. The other one in the net with the original male is another younger fry.

IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2142.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello. I know nothing about guppy genetics, but I know a little about genetics in general. I wonder if it's possible that that strain of guppy is the result of crossing two other strains? If that's the case that could explain why the offspring don't look like the parents.

Again, I'm only speculating, but it's all I've got.

Jollypop4321

Reaction score
Aquashrimp42 said:
Does anyone else have ideas?
Maybe the fry need time to mature? I’m pretty sure that male guppies mature in coloration at about the three to four month of age. Maybe time will tell?
Also have you asked your supplier To ask if this is normal for your Guppy strain and the age they are now? Contacting the supplier could be a valuable source of information regarding your strain of guppies And may give you insight you might not already know.
I also agree with JETSPAPA in that if you have another strain of liver bearers in your tank a cross breeding could have occurred.
I hope you get it all figured out. I would love to know what the answer is either way. Hope you let s know.

OP
Aquashrimp42

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jollypop4321 said:
Maybe the fry need time to mature? I’m pretty sure that male guppies mature in coloration at about the three to four month of age. Maybe time will tell?
Also have you asked your supplier To ask if this is normal for your Guppy strain and the age they are now? Contacting the supplier could be a valuable source of information regarding your strain of guppies And may give you insight you might not already know.
I also agree with JETSPAPA in that if you have another strain of liver bearers in your tank a cross breeding could have occurred.
I hope you get it all figured out. I would love to know what the answer is either way. Hope you let s know.
Thanks for that idea, I will definitely follow up on that. No, I do not have any other strains in the tank, the only guppies I have came from a single purchase and the results of a few months.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could it be that the mother has more influences in her while breeding her to a nebula steel guppy? That would explain also why te outcome is different. But of course, nebula steels and galaxies are the results of crossings themselves. A phenotype similar to an ancestor can always happen. But that's just a very low percentage of the offspring. It really makes me wonder if the female(s) used is a true breeding nebula steel guppy. I keep and breed guppies in a serious way as well for a number of decades now. And to me this is the most likely answer to this all.

And have you already considered that the female used may have used a stored sperm packet from another male before you got her? Also that could explain the different outcome.

OP
Aquashrimp42

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am fairly certain that it was not a stored sperm packet because I am still having the same outcome from fry from more recent batches. Unless the same sperm packet can be stored for 5 months? I will contact the source and ask about their fish.

OP
Aquashrimp42

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When it comes time to keep the strain from declining due to constant single colony breeding what type of guppy would you consider introducing to keep the strain strong and how long until that time comes? I was thinking that a snakeskin male would work or would a female be better?

New Threads