Question How do I rinse my filter media?

Mosko

Active Member
Member
Messages
83
Reaction score
12
Location
Jackson
Experience
1 year
I have a Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin Aquarium Power Filter, And I try to change or rinse the filter cartridges once a month. I did recently purchased a blue and white filter media for HVAC that I now use in my aquarium. I've read that these are pretty much the same as the cartridges. It seems the same to me, and I've heard people successfully using them, so I assume they're fine.
I would like to rinse the filter media, to increase the water flow, I know it contains good bacteria. So how do I rinse it, and not get rid of the good bacteria?
 

Salem

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,416
Reaction score
949
Location
Ontario
Experience
1 year
Essentially just swish it around and squeeze it a little bit in old tank water.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
M

Mosko

Active Member
Member
Messages
83
Reaction score
12
Location
Jackson
Experience
1 year
Salem said:
Essentially just swish it around and squeeze it a little bit in old tank water.
Thanks, and I guess I pour that water back into the tank?
 

Salem

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,416
Reaction score
949
Location
Ontario
Experience
1 year
No I mean the water you take out during a water change.
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,929
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mosko said:
Thanks, and I guess I pour that water back into the tank?
Eeeeew! No definitely not. Think about it... Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of cleaning it??? If you just pour it all right back into the tank to go right back into the filter again?

Using a bucket of tank water prevents the chlorine from tap water killing your beneficial bacteria. That's all.

You can also use a bucket of dechlorinated water. But I prefer a bucket of tank water.
 

ystrout

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,505
Reaction score
907
Location
San Diego
Experience
4 years
Siphon some water into a bucket, squeeze the filter media until it doesn't have any more gunk, then set the filter back up.

Dump out the dirty water. It will be nasty and you definitely don't want to put it back in the tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
M

Mosko

Active Member
Member
Messages
83
Reaction score
12
Location
Jackson
Experience
1 year
Lol, thanks, I was clueless with these things. But definitely gained some knowledge now.
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
3,536
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
Some people insist that there's not enough chlorine to hurt the bacteria in the few seconds you'd be rinsing it under the faucet. I don't know.
 

GlennO

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
940
Location
Australia
Experience
More than 10 years
ystrout said:
Dump out the dirty water. It will be nasty and you definitely don't want to put it back in the tank.
My tomatoes love it. :)
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,929
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
JettsPapa said:
Some people insist that there's not enough chlorine to hurt the bacteria in the few seconds you'd be rinsing it under the faucet. I don't know.
But why risk it?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,122
Reaction score
11,910
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Cichlidude said:
Learn here on why rinsing your media in tap water will not kill your bacteria.

Rinsing Biomedia In Tap Water
This is good information but we are in the freshwater beginners section. Most of the folks here have new tanks with new cycles. I actually agree cleaning the media in tap water won't affect the cycle in a fully established tank if it is rinsed quickly but I would never recommend someone with a brand new tank do it.

BTW: I have fully established tanks but still clean my media in water from the tanks. That hasn't always been the case. There have been times where I took my media to the kitchen sink to clean it under running water. But, my tanks were fully established and had been for quite a while.
 

Cichlidude

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,088
Reaction score
2,034
Location
Georgia
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
This is good information but we are in the freshwater beginners section. Most of the folks here have new tanks with new cycles. I actually agree cleaning the media in tap water won't affect the cycle in a fully established tank if it is rinsed quickly but I would never recommend someone with a brand new tank do it.

BTW: I have fully established tanks but still clean my media in water from the tanks. That hasn't always been the case. There have been times where I took my media to the kitchen sink to clean it under running water. But, my tanks were fully established and had been for quite a while.
The OP says he tries to rinse and clean his filters once a month. Means he has an established tank. The was intended for the other poster. Nobody really cleans their filter while cycling as they don't get that dirty to warrant it.
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
3,536
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
Cichlidude said:
The OP says he tries to rinse and clean his filters once a month. Means he has an established tank. The was intended for the other poster. Nobody really cleans their filter while cycling as they don't get that dirty to warrant it.
They do if they turn on the filter immediately after adding water and don't give the substrate a chance to settle first. (Please don't ask me how I know this.)
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,122
Reaction score
11,910
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Cichlidude said:
The OP says he tries to rinse and clean his filters once a month. Means he has an established tank. The was intended for the other poster. Nobody really cleans their filter while cycling as they don't get that dirty to warrant it.
That really depends on how they are cycling. If fishless I totally agree but if fish in the media can get pretty gross and will need to be cleaned.

I am really not picking on you. Guess I am feeling ornery today so seem to be nit-picking :D
 

Fljoe

Well Known
Member
Messages
617
Reaction score
279
Location
Orlando Florida
Experience
Just started
Cichlidude said:
The OP says he tries to rinse and clean his filters once a month. Means he has an established tank. The was intended for the other poster. Nobody really cleans their filter while cycling as they don't get that dirty to warrant it.
mattgirl said:
That really depends on how they are cycling. If fishless I totally agree but if fish in the media can get pretty gross and will need to be cleaned.

I am really not picking on you. Guess I am feeling ornery today so seem to be nit-picking :D
most of us newbies don’t learn about a fishless cycle until after we add fish. So yes my filter required cleaning every couple weeks in my new tank.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
126
Guests online
2,170
Total visitors
2,296

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom