How do I reseal an aquarium?

aoiumi

I have a 10 gal with leaky silicone. I tried researching but I found a lot of conflicting information. Can anyone give me a rundown of how to reseal an aquarium, or a link to a guide to how to?

Dennis57

You can go to youtube they have a lot of resources there.

MikeRad89

For a 10 gallon I'd just scrape out the inside edges with a razor and put new silicone in. There's not enough pressure to be worried about it.

Larger tanks, you're stripping all the silicone, cleaning the individual pieces of glass with alcohol, and resealing every nook and cranny.

altwitch

Recommend getting a silicone working tool. Amazon has basic kits for about 7-9 dollars. I tried to do install a silicone panel without and it took me 3 hours of filling, finishing, cutting and scraping. I used the tools and it took me 45 minutes.

TWiG87

While it is a beneficial skill to learn, For a tank that size, It may be more economical to just buy a new one. Certainly worthwhile on larger tanks though

aoiumi

Finished resealing it tonight! It's looking good and smelling awful, so tomorrow I'll start the stress-test. Thank you! Youtube was a big help.

My family is full of hobbyists, and I didn't even think about getting a calking gun - we have 3 already. In fact, my mom and dad are resealing the shower this week. (Don't worry about the silicone - I made sure to get the right type for my tank.)

For the price, this was diffidently cheaper for me - around ten bucks for razor and silicone, and everything else we already had.

sfsamm

I would recommend waiting until the smell is gone to stress test or fill in any regard. I know instructions often say 24 hours, but I've been in the hobby 30+ years and sealing tanks for 25 of them and it's better just to wait the extra couple days.

MrsPancakes

sfsamm said:
I would recommend waiting until the smell is gone to stress test or fill in any regard. I know instructions often say 24 hours, but I've been in the hobby 30+ years and sealing tanks for 25 of them, and it's better just to wait the extra couple days.
I just picked up a used 55 bowfront. It doesn't leak, but the sealant isn't in the best of shape, so I'm resealing it now. Once cleaned and prepped, I plan on giving it 48-72 hours before a 1/2 tank water test and hold for 24 hours. Then do filled tank test and keep for another 24 hours. Does that sound safe enough? Or should I just let the sealant cure for a week before the water test? The last thing I want is 55 gallons on my wood floor, and I've never attempted a tank this big. Your help is appreciated.

Top Bottom