How Do I Remove Nitrite And Nitrate Levels? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lil Spicy, May 17, 2018.

1. Lil Spicy

Lil SpicyNew MemberMember

I've had my 2 goldfish for around a month now one rescue, the other unexpected. They are still in a 10 gallon tank looking to upgrade and separate both of them later on.
    Anyways my water levels are
    High Range pH: 7.4
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 5
    Nitrate: 5
    I believe my nitrite is high due to overfeeding so imma cut down the food, as well as over stocking( they are still relatively small but growing).
    I was wondering if a water change or partial water change will do the trick and add some seachem prime to it. Will that do the trick?

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

So lnce the tank finishes cycling you will have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite (the nitrite will tirn into nitrate). In the meantime, water changes should lower the levels. You might also want to test your tap water to make sure all readings are 0 on the water you are using for your WC.

3. RonJ

RonJWell Known MemberMember

If your Nitrate actually 5PPM, ur fish probably would have died by now. Pls retest. Or did u miss a decimal point?

4. Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

^ i think you mean nitrite. lol op probably worried out of his mind by that error :p but yes.your tank isnt cycled you shouldnt have any nitrite, but you have some nitrate so it seems you're on your way. i would refraid from putting any fish inthere until it is. or anymore if you had already.

5. RonJ

RonJWell Known MemberMember

Yes I meant nitrite. 5ppm nitrite is not normal even in unclycled tank

6. coralbandit

coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Change water daily or even multiple times until nitrite is below 1 ppm. I would do 2 or 3 water changes today if it was me ..
    The % of water you change is the % the nitrIte and Nitrate[ALL NUTRIENTS] will be reduced .
    So with 5 ppm and your first 50% water change you should have 2.5ppm as a result.Second 50% change will get you around 1.25ppm and finally your third 50% water change should get you to .6125 ppm. Once below 1ppm test daily and do 50% water change when you reach 1ppm nitrite .
    The nitrAtes really can go over 40 safely but most try to keep them under 20ppm..Make sure you de chlorinate and do your best to match temperature.
    Good luck and get wet !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice