How do I reduce ammonia?

1. jglove276 Member Member

I am 4 weeks into my fishless cycle and I have a good nitrate reading but I still have some ammonia. Yesterday I did a large water change and cleaning but my readings didn’t change much. Should I do another water change or is it to soon. Not sure if I can do back to back water changes. If that wont help what else could I do?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi :)
    If you don't have fish, you don't have to do water changes.
    The bacteria need the ammonia to feed off of.

3. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

As stated above, don't do water changes if there aren't any fishies to keep healthy.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Do you have a nitrate reading?
    What source of ammonia are you using to cycle?
    You'll want the bacteria to process the ammonia and nitrites to 0 rather than through water changes.
    Your nitrates should contunue to climb. Don't worry about how high the nitrate reading gets.
    Once your ammonia and nitrites drop to 0 and can process any ammonia in 24 hrs. you'll do your water change at that point and you should be ready for fish. :)

5. jglove276 Member Member

I have been using fish food for ammonia source and have had nitrate readings for about a week but no change in ammonia. I just thought that if I removed some of the food there would be less ammonia to process. Am I wrong in thinking that and should leave it alone.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Leave it be and continue to feed the tank.
    If the ammonia isn't going down on it's own, your tank is still cycling.
    Hang is there, it can be frustrating.

What are your readings and what are you using to test?

7. rt12 Member Member

A x% water change everyday will lower all toxic levels by that %. Also Seachem's prime is great as a detoxifyer for all toxic levels. For my freshwater tanks they were all cycled by then but yours could still be cycling.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

there isnt any fish in the tank..so you dont want to use prime or change the water...it will just take that much longer..but great advice if there is fish in there :)

9. enthusiast Member Member