How do I quiet my overflows (pre-drilled 125 gallon tank)

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by swedgen, Dec 31, 2012.

1. swedgenNew MemberMember

I just bought a 125 pre-drilled tank with dual overflows off Craigslist. On one side of the tank, the drain tube is really quiet. On the other, it seems to be flowing faster, and it occasionally makes a hollow "slurp" sound. There are floats in each drain tube to keep it quiet, but I don't really know much about these. This is my first wet/dry set up, so I'm learning as I go.

2012-12-29_09-40-08_115.jpg

The hoses underneath do not have any kinks in it, and they both have the same amount of slack (not much...just a little).

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2
    Have a look into Durso Standpipes or Stockman overflows. If they can be applied to your setup, they're a great silencer for overflow systems.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

if its making a slurping sound it might not be getting enough flow. I was watching a vid on youtube and the guy had two overflows but set one lower than the other and put a valve inline to keep the water at the level of the upper one, didnt hear a sound from them.

4. OP
    OP
    s

swedgenNew MemberMember

Thanks for the info! I just looked into the Dursos, and I think it may be exactly what I need. Not sure if I want to DIY or purchase them online, but this sounds like a great project for next weekend!

5. ryanr

They're mega simple to do yourself. I made mine in about 5 minutes.
    I can't recall seeing them being sold anywhere

6. OP
    OP
    s

swedgenNew MemberMember

I found them online for about $20 each, so I think I can definitely make them myself for less. Sounds like a trip to the hardware store is in order! Thanks again for the advice! :;thx

7. ryanr

Welcome, any time :)

Pretty fool-proof really. The last page shows how it goes together:  

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Make sure your tank is as level as it can be. Also check to see if there is a black plastic/rubber strip that can be removed right below and behind the open slots where water drains into the over flow section. If your tank has them, look right above the white ball float. (as shown in the photo in post #1) There should be a ridge right behind where the water pours into the over flow and this is where the strip is, on the ridge. These strips control the flow. They slide on and off. Remove the one that is making the most noise and see what happens. It the noise is worse, put it back and remove the one from the other side.

Does it sound like an iron lung gasping for air? If so, removing the strip from one side or the other will help. Be sure to keep the strip and do not throw it out. You may need it at another date and time.

My 155g bow front had built in over flow and the above worked for me. Please note, an overflow system will never be completely silent but it shouldn't sound like an iron lung gasping for air. :)

Ken

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice