How Do I Prevent Overfeeding

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by conniem2424, Apr 13, 2017.

1. conniem2424

conniem2424Valued MemberMember

Hi all. I have gourami, harlequin rasbora's, and corys. I think I've been overfeeding, and not feeding the best foods. I would like to know what everyone thinks the best quality foods are for overall health. Also, what methods do you use to ensure all your fish get enough food, without any overfeeding. My Rasbora's and gouramis are pigs. In order to get the Cory's fed, the others end up overeating. Thanks all. And Happy Easter :)

2. stang7606

stang7606Valued MemberMember

I just got some food from Ken's Fish that I like quite a bit. They have premium tropical flake and floating and sinking pellets. I use the latter to get food down to my shrimp, that or some sinking algae wafers. Aquatic Arts on Amazon also has some sinking food. I just feed the flake and floating pellets at the top for the piggy fish, and the sinking stuff for the bottom guys. I am new to this also, but so far it seems to be working. I have also put food right by my outflow and it sinks flakes pretty quick.

3. Bettanewb

BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

I feed omega one and Northfin. Just like what was suggested above sinking foods for the bottom dwellers. You can also feed everyone else in one side of the tank and drop the cory food on the other side.

4. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

I feed my fish Tetra pleco pellets and Tetra flake food. I also feed them frozen foods like daphnia and bloodworms. I bought the frozen foods at my local store, which sells packages with 8 different kinds in one package. Ah, yes. I also feed them veggies as BottomDweller says.
    Many use the rule to feed the fish what they can eat for about 2 minutes, but when I do it I feel like my fish definitely get overfed. Sometimes I've put food in once that took them more than 2 minutes to eat, so by then the damage was already done. Even if I hold back but feed over 2 minutes it seems too much. I feed them a little at the time which takes them about 30 seconds to eat. I do that 2 - 3 times a day.
    I also try to recall what they used to look like or what I think they should look like to be healthy and compare it. Most of the time you can see if they're about to get a little chubby.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I feed my fish frozen bloodworms, frozen daphnia, freeze dried tubifex, boiled egg, algae wafers, boiled peas and other fruit and vegetables, dried seaweed, live daphnia, flakes and pellets. I think for feeding fish so they are healthy variety is key.

6. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Homemade food beats any fish food out there in my opinion.
    Mosquito Larvae is a good live food if you like me cant seem to find daphnia or any other live food appart from brine shrimp (which I hate, not really into hatcheries...).

7. OP
    OP
    conniem2424

Where do you find things like live Daphna and mosquito larvae? Also, I'm not sure how to prepare the vegetables? And, do I leave it in the tank for only a few minutes?

Do you have corys? What do you prefer for them specifically? I have Aqueon Bottom Feeder tablets, that the lps recommended. But, they don't sink very well. So, the other fish eat on them too. Leading to overfeeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  8. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

I had asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago and got some good information. You may want to take a look at that too. I don't know how to link it but it was called - What To Feed Community Fish? Garlic?

9. OP
    OP
    conniem2424

I have the Tetra flake food. But. I read you shouldn't feed the food after 3 months. It's too old at that point. Also, I've read mixed things about algae wafers.

10. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Daphnia... you will have to ask at your LFS, or aquarium association, or maybe you can buy it online and start your own culture. Look about more info on daphnia cultures on google.
    Mosquito Larvae is easy! I am right now trying that, just grab a container with dechlorinated water (better if it would be aquarium water from a water change) and leave it on your yard lol, mosquitos will leave the eggs, after it you can either leave it outside or bring it inside, larvae will start to form, you just grab it and feed that to the fish, they will love it as almost all fish eat stuff like that in nature.
    Be careful not to feed them other weird insects tho, be sure you are only putting mosquito larvae in the tank, and that all of it is being eaten. Depending on your fish you can either use it as a treat or you can feed it more often, some fish do well on meaty foods and some need more vegetables in their diet as too much protein can harm their liver. You can also froze the larvae I think so you can save some larvae for later.

With vegetables I just grab a bunch of veggies, put them in a bowl with water, put it 20-30 seconds in the microwave and they are ready to go. Depending on the quantities you can leave them less or more time in the microwave, basically you want to make the vegetables softer/tender and you do that with either a Microwave or just boiling, usually microwave is the cheapest and easiest way.

Tell me you dont want to feed your fish mosquito larvae after watching this video LOL:

11. OP
    OP
    conniem2424

Yeah, I think I will try the mosquito larvae. I live out on a ranch. So, obtaining the larvae shouldn't be too tough.

12. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

@conniem2424 I haven't heard that, but I'll definitely check out the container. Sounds like it would result in a lot of wasted fish food, since I don't have a lot of fish.
    What have you heard about algae wafers?

13. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Sorry I don't own cories. I looked those up quickly and it seems they are mostly algae and vegetable matter. Cories are mostly carnivorous so sinking pellets with a higher protein content would be better. They would also appreciate some frozen foods like bloodworms.

14. OP
    OP
    conniem2424

I heard that algae wafers don't hold much nutritional value, and that they aren't the best for corys. Of course, someone on here mentioned gourami in reference to algae eaters. Is that true at all?

I do feed frozen bloodworms once or twice a week. Though I don't know how many the Corys get. Again, the other fish are piglets. Would you have a recommendation for a good sinking food, that would be better for my cories?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  15. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Not sure how big your tank is, but I have heard of people using a turkey baster and loading it with food. Then squirting it at the bottom towards the actual fish you want to feed. So it gets straight to them first. Maybe feed the top-mid dwellers first to distract them, then squirt the bottom dwellers to be sure they get what's theirs.

16. Bettanewb

BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

My cories get feed a staple diet of omega one sinking shrimp pellets as well as I presoak my staple community pellets omega one and northfin so that they sink and the cories can forage around and grab those as well.

17. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

I think the cories probably eat more than you think. There is all manner of broken up food particles that you can't see easily. However, one way I've heard for bottom feeders or feeders that use their whiskers to help find food, is that you can drop the food in at night. They'll be able to get the food, whereas the fish that don't feed at night or that hang out in the middle or top of the tank, won't go after it without seeing it (at night)

18. OP
    OP
    conniem2424

Great tips for my cories. So glad I got on here and asked. Thanks all!!!

19. Piaelliott

PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice