How Do I Move To A Bigger Tank?

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m upgrading to a 30g but I don’t want to have to recycle my tank, should I simply move all my substrate and my filter to the new tank and use existing water or what?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the water part is up to you. I probably would simply because its what they are used to and wouldn't have to be acclimated to new water.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Joey Fish said:
Filter media meaning what? I have some foam pads in there, a filter cartridge and a bag of Carbon
I would move everything over to the new tank including the water and everything in your filter or at least run the filter you have now on your smaller tank on the bigger tank along with the one you are going to use on it. You can't have too much filtration so running both of them won't be a problem.

Most of the bacteria that is your cycle live on the media in your filter housing but some does live on all the surfaces in the tank. By moving everything over you may have a mini cycle but probably won't. The bacteria doesn't live in the water but it is the water your fish and bacteria are used to so by moving it over they will just think they have had a big water change.

Just be sure the temp is close to the same before putting your fish in there.

trainandfishguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did exactly as described by mattgirl when I upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 26. This was 5 weeks ago and I am still running the old filter with the new one just to be safe. I had no issues at all and my tank remained cycled. didn't lose a single fish and they are much happier in their new tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom