How do I make sure rocks are tank safe?

Atrain

I purchased some river rocks from a local landscaping store in order to use them as decoration in my fish tank. I tested them with white vinegar and after there was no reaction I cleaned all the rocks in a bleach solution. I followed directions from an online tutorial in order to do this. I am now in the process of making different structures by connecting rocks with silicone. My question is how do I make sure that the rocks and silicone are safe before adding fish to the tank? I got a generic all purpose silicone recommend by a youtuber who uses it in his tanks.

Salem

Assuming the silicone is 100% silicone it should be safe. I'd person give the structures a good shake to make sure they're really secure and give them a rinse before putting them into the tank.

Upvote 0

Utar

In June I setup my 55g aquarium. I found some fist size rocks, tested them by attempting to scratch them with a knife to make sure they where hard instead of soft then sterilized them by boiling. The rocks have been in my tank now for two months and my fish, etc are doing well.

Sounds like your rocks will be fine for your tank, just make sure they don't fall apart and squash your aquarium pets.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Many rocks are used to deliberately adjust the PH of water for special needs fish.

I suggest you use a bucket of water that has been sitting for 24 hours. Test the PH. Then add the rocks. After at least 4 days test the water PH. Only then can you be optimistic about the rocks sold at a landscaping shop.

The silicon WILL need 7 days to dry anyway. It will dry under water. But it’s not safe for fish as it dries .

Upvote 0

Atrain

The silicone directions said it would take 24 hours to dry and I tested the stability this morning and it was fine. I think I should do that PH test on my tap water with and without the rocks.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Ok if you say the silicon is fine and the manufacturers say it’s fine I am not going to say the manufactures are wrong.

Test the water PH after it’s been sitting in a bucket for 24 hours, then add the rock . Test again in 3 or 4 days . If the PH is different the rocks can’t be used.

Upvote 0

waterpat

Careful with silicone.

Just some semantics here: Silicone doesn't dry, it vulcanizes, or cures.

As silicone cures, it either releases ammonia or vinegar, depending on the type of silicone. It is not safe until it is fully cured. I would give it longer than 24 hours.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Revan
Replies
Views
Silister Trench
Replies
Views
Panzerammer