How do I make my fish flakes sink?

Vulpes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Pinch the flakes and then dip your fingers with the flakes into the water.Then watch the flakes slowly descend as they are gobbled up by your fish.

JakesAquarium

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pinch the flakes and then dip your fingers with the flakes into the water.Then watch the flakes slowly descend as they are gobbled up by your fish.
Thanks for this! I will try it next time I feed them

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is good advice! They just need to be saturated with water and they'll drop.

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have a HOB and i drop some by the water that is falling out of it and the current of the water pushes the flakes all the way to the bottom.

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Get a small cup and fill it with your tank water. Drop a few flakes and mix them, let them soak for a few seconds. Then just drop them in. My fish go crazy lol

Catahoola

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do the same as AquaticBrandon. The tetras never seem to notice the flakes so all the other fish gobble them up before they can get to them. You can also get pellets, which don't really float, and some people say they are better for fish. Sinking the flakes also prevents fish from gulping air which isn't good for them. I've also put the flakes right under the water coming out of the filter, which sends them down to the bottom but that makes them sink too fast and the tetras don't notice them then either....

Geoffrey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I do the same as Brandon, but instead of pouring it in, I use a turkey baster. Before I soaked my flakes, all my neon tetras gulped air during feeding time and would float to the top if they didn't swim down, creating a sort of bobbing motion. It was pretty funny, but I can't imagine it being healthy for them.

JakesAquarium

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, it worked thank you

Where can i get these?
HOB?

Thank u, I will try this next feed too.

Last edited by a moderator:

New Fish in Town

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do like everyone else said and let them float for a few seconds. Then touch them with your fingers and they will sink.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom