How do I make my fish flakes sink?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by JakesAquarium, Jul 31, 2015.

1. J

JakesAquarium New Member Member

How do I make my fish flakes sink?

My Tetras prefer the flakes to be sinking, and not floating, any suggestions on how to make them sink?

Thanks

Jake

2. Vulpes

Vulpes Valued Member Member

Pinch the flakes and then dip your fingers with the flakes into the water.Then watch the flakes slowly descend as they are gobbled up by your fish. :)

3. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for this! I will try it next time I feed them :)

4. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

This is good advice! They just need to be saturated with water and they'll drop.

5. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

i have a HOB and i drop some by the water that is falling out of it and the current of the water pushes the flakes all the way to the bottom.

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Get a small cup and fill it with your tank water. Drop a few flakes and mix them, let them soak for a few seconds. Then just drop them in. My fish go crazy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. C

Catahoola Valued Member Member

I do the same as AquaticBrandon. The tetras never seem to notice the flakes so all the other fish gobble them up before they can get to them. You can also get pellets, which don't really float, and some people say they are better for fish. Sinking the flakes also prevents fish from gulping air which isn't good for them. I've also put the flakes right under the water coming out of the filter, which sends them down to the bottom but that makes them sink too fast and the tetras don't notice them then either....

8. G

Geoffrey Well Known Member Member

I do the same as Brandon, but instead of pouring it in, I use a turkey baster. Before I soaked my flakes, all my neon tetras gulped air during feeding time and would float to the top if they didn't swim down, creating a sort of bobbing motion. It was pretty funny, but I can't imagine it being healthy for them.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Yes, it worked thank you :)

Where can i get these?
    HOB?

Thank u, I will try this next feed too.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  10. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

Do like everyone else said and let them float for a few seconds. Then touch them with your fingers and they will sink.

11. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

HOB is a Hang On The Back filter

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. OP
    OP
    J

Oh haha, cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice