How do I make a aquarium lid

PlantedCommunityTank132

I have 3 tanks without lids in my room, and the humidity is pretty high. thats why I thought that I could maybe make a lid, but I don't know how to still have the light coming through the same way. would I lose a lot of light If I used a lid?

Flyfisha

Hi
After trying 6 mm Perspex and finding out like everyone else that it bows with heat on one side and dampness on the other I researched what is a better option. This product or one sold with a different brand name is widely used on aquariums.
Sunlite 10mm Twinwall x 3.0m Clear Polycarbonate Roofing

A sharp box cutter and straight edge is all that is needed.

The 8 mm is the best thickness .
Yes you lose a little light .
Stainless steel brackets are available separately from aquarium shops.
4PCS/Set Stainless Steel Aquarium Fish Tank Glass Cover Clip Support ( | eBay

A clear plastic J mould is available for the open edges.

PlantedCommunityTank132

hmm. it looks quite expensive. any easier/cheaper options?

Flyfisha

That is an Australian web site in Australian dollars?

PlantedCommunityTank132

That is an Australian web site in Australian dollars?
yes, but I'm in Canada and it would still be around $100

Flyfisha

With the stainless steel brackets mentioned this polycarbonate twinwall creates an evaporation proof seal that is below the height of the rim leading to all condensation dripping back into the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 5

John58ford

I like simple sliding glass lids, if the light is close to the glass you don't lose much. At first with clean glass it will fog up, but after a day the fog should condense into droplets and the glass will be clear/pass light effectively. I have some loss with my hood style lights 7-10" above the tanks, but very little loss with the tanks running set on top style lights.

You can cut the glass pretty easy in most cases and use plastic "f" channel to make it slide/not fall in.

Somewhere around here there a post like this one where I detailed my lids, I think you should be able to do a 30x12 (29/20long) for $6-$10, 3 of them for $18-$25 if you are careful with the math and don't make a bad cut.

One of the more experienced fish keepers in my area doesn't even bother with sliders or hinges and just sets the glass on there (4 panels per tank) and lifts it off to feed. He doesn't commonly have kids help him work the tanks though, I wouldn't let my kids lift glass panels, but if it was just me I would consider going that way, simple/easy to clean.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I like simple sliding glass lids, if the light is close to the glass you don't lose much. At first with clean glass it will fog up, but after a day the fog should condense into droplets and the glass will be clear/pass light effectively. I have some loss with my hood style lights 7-10" above the tanks, but very little loss with the tanks running set on top style lights.

You can cut the glass pretty easy in most cases and use plastic "f" channel to make it slide/not fall in.

Somewhere around here there a post like this one where I detailed my lids, I think you should be able to do a 30x12 (29/20long) for $6-$10, 3 of them for $18-$25 if you are careful with the math and don't make a bad cut.

One of the more experienced fish keepers in my area doesn't even bother with sliders or hinges and just sets the glass on there (4 panels per tank) and lifts it off to feed. He doesn't commonly have kids help him work the tanks though, I wouldn't let my kids lift glass panels, but if it was just me I would consider going that way, simple/easy to clean.
okay. where can I find these? Home Depot?

With the stainless steel brackets mentioned this polycarbonate twinwall creates an evaporation proof seal that is below the height of the rim leading to all condensation dripping back into the tank.
cool. thanks for the pic btw

PeterFishKeepin

I use this on some of my tanks that came with no lid, cheap and easy I believe it only comes in A2 size so may need multiple for bigger tanks, ive used it on a 5 gal and a 20gal tall and as Flyfisha said, thin sheets can often sag and bows ive used this for a year or so and ive had no problems.

Officeworks | Stationery, Laptops, Furniture, Paper at Low Prices

Note> im from Australia, this is a link for a Australian website so it may not work for you.

The link shows it comes in multiple colours i use the clear sheet although its not actully clear its frosted type look. its only 0.8mm thick ive had no issues though. Perhaps in the US they sell something similar at craft stores or other place you may have there.

Let me know if the link doesnt work ill repost and add some images too.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I use this on some of my tanks that came with no lid, cheap and easy I believe it only comes in A2 size so may need multiple for bigger tanks, ive used it on a 5 gal and a 20gal tall and as Flyfisha said, thin sheets can often sag and bows ive used this for a year or so and ive had no problems.

Officeworks | Stationery, Laptops, Furniture, Paper at Low Prices

Note> im from Australia, this is a link for a Australian website so it may not work for you.

The link shows it comes in multiple colours i use the clear sheet although its not actully clear its frosted type look. its only 0.8mm thick ive had no issues though. Perhaps in the US they sell something similar at craft stores or other place you may have there.

Let me know if the link doesnt work ill repost and add some images too.
okay. the link worked, but I looked on the Home Depot website, and the cheapest one I can find is $60. I can't seem to find any small ones

e_watson09

I'd make a sliding glass lid, there are quite a few ways to do it if you look on YouTube :)

ruud

I use custom glass lids. They are not supported by brackets but rest on the rimless tank. I typically use 3 lids on a tank; the large lid in the middle is pretty much never moved. The two on the sides have a corner cut to allow tubes and cables to enter.

The corners are stuffed with some foam to create a warm, humid space just above the waterline for the gouramis.

One of these lids has a suction cup, so I can easily pull em up to feed the fish.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Home Depot is where I found the parts for mine. Here's a thread a bit like yours where I replied in more detail:
Post in thread 'Cheap DIY Lid' Cheap DIY Lid | Freshwater Tank Equipment Forum | 480564
okay thanks.
I'd make a sliding glass lid, there are quite a few ways to do it if you look on YouTube :)
checked out some ideas. thanks :)
I use custom glass lids. They are not supported by brackets but rest on the rimless tank. I typically use 3 lids on a tank; the large lid in the middle is pretty much never moved. The two on the sides have a corner cut to allow tubes and cables to enter.

The corner is stuffed with some foam to create a warm, humid space just above the waterline for the gouramis.

One of these lids has a suction cup, so I can easily pull em up to feed the fish.
thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mrjohn
Replies
Views
Machine213
Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
Replies