How Do I Lower Ph?

1. Buffalofishguy

Buffalofishguy New Member Member

Hi,

So my pH is 7.4. I show zero ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in the tank.

Do I need to lower my pH further? If so, how do I do this? Water changes don't seem to be helping.

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Your pH is fine, mine is 7.6. Why do you feel you need to lower it?

3. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

why do you want to lower pH. tap water is 6.5 - 8.5. the answer is yes you can but why do you need to?

4. toran

toran Valued Member Member

What is the pH of your tap water?
    If tap is 7.4 then tank pH won't lower with a water change.
    It is better to have a constant pH then fluctuating.
    Driftwood and Indian almond leaves can lower pH.
    Why do you want to lower it?

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Most fish adapt just fine to that ph, several of my fish are wild caughts and are doing just fine is 7.6ph.
    If a pet store has advised a ph of 7.0 that is just them trying to get you to buy more stuff that will be harmful in the long run, stable ph (same as you can get it from tap to tank) is better for fish in the long run, most domesticated varieties of fish now are able to adjust to ph and tank parameters just fine.

6. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

7. OP
    OP
    Buffalofishguy

Buffalofishguy New Member Member

Well it's just that I read that a lot of the freshwater fish like a pH around 6.8. But having learned from previous lessons I don't want to tinker with the tank just to tinker with it. I'll take everyone's advice and leave as is. I just want to have a vibrant tank of fish and after I got bad advice at the fish store about aquarium salt...I come to the "pro's" on here for guidance now. Thank you all!