How Do I Lower My Filter's Flow?

forestwind1234

I have a 5 gallon tank with a whisper filter in it. I bought the tank as a filter-tank set for glow-fish, but I have a singular betta in it. I noticed that there are parts if the tanks that he doesn't like going into because of the filter's flow. I put it on it's lowest setting, but it's still too strong.
Do any of you have suggestions for making the flow less strong?

HyenaMilo

I would just go and buy a small filter sponge that you can (cut to size and) put/tie on the lip of the outflow. It will not only reduce your flow but it will also add additional filtration for any extra particles that make it past the main filtration. I did this for my betta and it helped a ton.

Cherie G

I have a 5 gallon tank with a whisper filter in it. I bought the tank as a filter-tank set for glow-fish, but I have a singular betta in it. I noticed that there are parts if the tanks that he doesn't like going into because of the filter's flow. I put it on it's lowest setting, but it's still too strong.
Do any of you have suggestions for making the flow less strong?

I have a similar situation so I put a piece of foam filter media on the end of the outflow pipe, water still flows through just fine but it makes the flow much more gentle. Hope that helps, good luck!

Jocelyn Adelman

You can make a baffle with a water bottle, great way to reduce flow. Google it, plenty of videos on doing it.... also you can over stuff the filter with floss, etc, will also help slow flow but not by as much as a baffle.

forestwind1234

I would just go and buy a small filter sponge that you can (cut to size and) put/tie on the lip of the outflow. It will not only reduce your flow but it will also add additional filtration for any extra particles that make it past the main filtration. I did this for my betta and it helped a ton.
I think I'll do that since sounds like it'll be the easiest option.
Should I buy the sponge off Amazon, or go to petco or something?

California L33

I think I'll do that since sounds like it'll be the easiest option.
Should I buy the sponge off Amazon, or go to petco or something?

Do you have filter floss? It'll serve the same purpose. I used a sponge from the center of a bio-ball for mine. If you want to use sponge make sure it doesn't have any chemicals in it, so you might be best getting something aquarium specific.

One more tip- not a problem on most filters, but make sure that if you partially block the filter's output it doesn't cause it to overflow. It'll be obvious if it's a problem.

HyenaMilo

Amazon actually was a little more expensive but if you go to petco there should be something you can use

One more tip- not a problem on most filters, but make sure that if you partially block the filter's output it doesn't cause it to overflow. It'll be obvious if it's a problem.

This is also important

forestwind1234

Thanks!
California L33 , I don't have any filter floss (this is my first tank, and I'm more or less working with the bare minimums), but I'll definitely be careful to make sure that there isn't any overflow in my filter.

WTFish?

I had the same problem and temporarily did the sponge baffle like mentioned above. I found it way easier to just order a sponge filter, super cheap and all you need is an air pump and some tubing

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
  • Question
Replies
Views
TeeJay89
Replies
Views
kered
Replies