How do I love thee, let me count the ...temp?

dvc_r

What a long night I had! Down here in "Sunny" Florida the temp dropped down to 28°F last night! At around 10 pm we heard a loud POP! A transformer in our back yard blew and we lost power most the night! They ended up having to dig out and replace the entire transformer! The homes here are not built to withstand the cold temps hence my house quickly dropped to 60°F. My Discus tank started to also drop! I rushed to put some blankets, quilts and towels over and around the tank. I then spent the rest of the night with 12 candles lit up around the tank to help slow down the temperature drop. I'm glad I stayed awake to watch the "shrine" because one time the towels fell off and landed on top of two of the candles!!!

It took eight trucks, a crane and five hours to fix it. My tanks started at 84 and the coldest the tanks got to was 74°F at about 3 am. I'm now looking for signs of ich! I hope my babies are healthy enough to get through this!

PS: Anyone have a cheap generator for sale?

Goldwing_Don

I had this happen to me once...I had some heat paks on hand so I put them in zip lock bags and floated them in the tank ...worked pretty good ...just a thought..hope yours does well.. and nice work on keeping the as warm as possible.

dvc_r

I had some heat paks on hand so I put them in zip lock bags and floated them in the tank
That's a good idea, never thought of that. That's a good inexpensive way to get out of a quick bind, I'm gonna go out tomorrow and buy a few to keep for an emergency.
Thanks

Goldwing_Don

Very welcome...hope you don't ever need it but it nice to be ready..

Aquarist

Hello DVC-R Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your fish. The above link may help you prepare in case of another power outage.
Keep us posted.
Ken

dvc_r

Thanks Ken, quite a few good links. But the magic word is prepare not like me, when it's too late! I see you can empathize with me, I did not know you also had Discus.

Aquarist

Hello DVC-R. Yes, I had Discus many years ago. It was a heart breaking, wallet busting experience for sure. I envy you folks that can keep them and breed them. I think they are so regal in appearance.
Ken

dvc_r

... and I envy your 265g.

Gotta log off, going to the Tampa Bay Aquarium Society meeting in an hour. I think this is a good topic to bring up at the meeting.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom