How Do I Know When Nerites Get Enough Good?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by CHoman, Apr 11, 2017.

1. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

Hi there! I recently got 2 nerites (love them, so, so much) and they have done a fantastic job at cleaning my tank. It was covered in brown algae and they have been quite busy. But now, the algae is starting to run out, so I'm wondering how I know if they need more to eat. Are there any signs? :). Or, should I supplement with anything else?
    Thanks so much!

Tank is a 10 gallon planted tank with 1 betta and 2 nerites

2. MyFishFillet

MyFishFillet Well Known Member Member

There really isn't a way to tell if they are eating enough, You can always supplement them with veggies at night to see if they will munch on it just in case they don't have enough to eat. Since there are only two, I wouldn't think they would run out of food. It just depends on how much algae there is.

Is there still visible algae in the tank? If so then you shouldn't need to supplement but if there isn't then you may want too

3. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

I always worry about this with mine as well. One thing I did notice was the first two small horned nerites I put in my tank grew rather quickly while the ones I've added in later are still rather small. Someone else on here suggested trying a bit of baby carrot to see if they will eat it. I keep forgetting to snag one so I havent tried myself yet. Other things people say they might eat are zucchini or cucumber but I've never had luck with my nerites touching either of those.

I do also see mine eating randomly everywhere in the tank so I'm hopeful there is some biofilm there or something I cant see that they like to eat as well.

4. OP
    OP
    CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

There is only a little bit of algae left, they've cleaned so much in just a few days. At this rate, they'll he nothing left by tomorrow :(

5. MyFishFillet

MyFishFillet Well Known Member Member

Then you may want to supplement then with something every once and awhile. Some people say algae wafers work but not many of mine visit one when I put it in the tank, I have 9 in my 40g. Well says my mom (about them not eating it), I am at college 2 hours away so I have to trust my parents to care for my fish lol.
    You can also try different veggie, I've heard of people using zucchini, celery, cucumber and others (typically green veggies)

6. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice