Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What should my levels be when I'm done cycling? Extra info:
Siza: 10 gallon
Ammonia Source: Dr. Tims
BB: Tetra Safestart
Test Kit: API Master Test Kit
Levels: No idea. The Test Kit is coming today but might be delayed because it is snowing. No chemicals in it yet.
Thanks everyone for the help!

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you doing a fish-in cycling? If so, then yes, your levels will be 0,0,<something> if your tank is cycled. If you are doing a fishless cycle, then however much ammonia you have been adding (1ppm? 2ppm, 3ppm?), should process through the nitrogen cycle in 24 hours. That means your readings the next morning should be 0,0,<something>.

I am doing a fishless cycle, and I am going to be adding one drop of ammonia every day. How much is that?

Stocking is 1 betta and 3 snails

I'm not sure how much that will register in your tank. Depends on the size of the tank and the strength of the ammonia. I would put a drop in, test the water to see how much it registers. It may be that 1 drop isn't enough to bring it up to even 1ppm.

cadd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There's an ammonia calculator somewhere. You just put in your tank size, and it'll tell you how many ppm each drop will be. Let me see if I can find it for you.

Lapierre084

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So in my experiencing (I am a newbie) after your tank has fully cycled, which can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks, your level should read as follows....

PH of water measures the acidity or base of your water, PH is very important in keeping healthy fish because high or low levels can stress your fish and puts their overall health in jeopardy. Best levels are 6.6 - 7.8 (and can be different for type of fish you have in tank).

Ammonia is extremely toxic to fish and can quickly kill them...you want Ammonia levels to be at Zero ppm..

Nitrites are the result of ammonia being broken down by bacteria in your tank – they are the secondary product of the Nitrogen Cycle. In fully cycled tank you want your Nitrites to read Zero ppm. If they are high, decreasing these will be by doing 20%-30% water changes frequently.

Nitrates are the result of Nitrites being broken down even further by the beneficial bacteria in your filtration system. Nitrate levels should be between 20 and 40 ppm to remain in a safe range...

Hope this helps, anyone please correct me if inaccurate.!! Best of luck.!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom