How Do I Know What Kind Of Lighting I Have?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys,

So, I have a Top Fin 36 Gallon Bow Front Aquarium. I purchased it on Offer Up, so I didn't make the original purchase.

I want to get into plants, and I know that lighting is a huge proponent of doing that. So, I'd like to find out what kind of lighting I have. Is there a way to do this? It's the basic hood/florescent bulb that comes with the set up.

If the lighting I have IS NOT great for plants, can you guys recommend a fairly affordable one that's good? If I can replace the bulb on the current set-up, I wouldn't mind doing that. The LEDs are really nice too but I believe they can be a bit pricey.

Thank you!

xx

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are there any markings on the bulb?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
None that I can see, no!

I believe, after doing some research that it's this exact hood;

But it doesn't say, and I don't know, if that's suitable for plants or not! I'm fairly new to fish keeping, and have never done plants before so don't really know about lighting requirements, etc.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Probably a T8 bulb and chances are that it's not suitable for plants, or if it was that it's old and needs replacement because it's no longer producing the right spectrum of light.

If you take the bulb out perhaps there are markings on the hidden side?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can check the bulb, but you're likely right. I was looking at the Fluval AquaSky - it's currently on sale for a good price @ Petco. Thoughts on that light?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is that an LED?

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you have a fluorescent light you can get a replacement bulb at the hardware store for under $10. Just find one with a color tone of 6500K.

Fish-whisper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AngelTheGypsy said:
If you have a fluorescent light you can get a replacement bulb at the hardware store for under $10. Just find one with a color tone of 6500K.
What Angel said. You can get the GE Plant & Aquarium bulb at Walmart for around $ 7, it will grow plants and fish will have nice colors.

Edit= oops accidentally hit the funny button for AngelTheGypsy...guess it's funny we agree

Terabyte

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I would personally go for a good set of LEDs. I have a fluorescent light hood on my 20 gallon and even with ferts anubias just doesn't get enough light.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like LEDS but you are looking at a glass top if you lose your lid. Cheapest source I know would be an ebay light and lids from Drs Foster and Smith. That gets you in the $50-60 shipped range. If that's not OK, buy a bulb for your fixture and see how it goes.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OnTheFly said:
I like LEDS but you are looking at a glass top if you lose your lid. Cheapest source I know would be an ebay light and lids from Drs Foster and Smith. That gets you in the $50-60 shipped range. If that's not OK, buy a bulb for your fixture and see how it goes.
Actually, my hood is really weird. It actually has a glass top section where I could easily put the LED - all I'd need to do is take off the actual bulb part, and replace it with the LED. It's really a weird hood, but it'll work.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
madelyn anne said:
Actually, my hood is really weird. It actually has a glass top section where I could easily put the LED - all I'd need to do is take off the actual bulb part, and replace it with the LED. It's really a weird hood, but it'll work.
What dimensions of an LED fixture would fit? I may have an inexpensive recommendation that isn't Beamsworks.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update; I removed the florescent hood and purchased the Fluval AquaSky. I got it for half price, so not a bad deal. It fit perfectly right on top of the glass portion of my hood, it looks great, & comes with a remote that you can choose colors and patterns and weather simulations with! I'm pretty happy with it. And it says that it's great for plants, so I'm really happy I can start removing some fake plants and putting some real ones in!

Thank you everyone!

tankflu.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom