How Do I Know My Clown Pleco Is Getting Enough To Eat?

Violetskies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a couple different kinds of driftwood, and some of it has algae on it. Is that enough or should I do more? Also he's really shy and hiding all the time, so I can't even see if he's okay or skinny or what. He is new and I know Clown plecos are normally shy. is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That should be good. Occasionally I feed mine raw zucchinni, brussel sprouts, and green beans. Also, an algae wafer every now and then doesn’t hurt, but you usually have to break it into smaller parts, as most brands are too much for a single Clown. They’re wood-eaters as you know. More than likely it should be just fine.
Here’s a picture of mine. Her main diet is wood. You’ll know it’s eating, as there will be plenty of poop, which will be seen literally everywhere around the wood.
24A3C382-41D3-4599-A66A-4777BBB32CA8.jpeg

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine have only liked grapewood and what I think is Manzanita, they hang out on the Mopani but I have never seen signs of them eating it. They do eat algae and mine keep the tank spotless. I haven't ever fed them specifically, but they do enjoy flake and pellet when they find it, and mine dive into the kuhli ball feeding frenzy for carnivore pellets, so they don't seem to be only cellulose eaters. However, listen for rasping/scraping noises at night, which is them eating wood. Mine get so loud they have woken me up before!

Also, try positioning your driftwood so that you can tempt them to where you can see them. They like to hang vertically and will do so out in the open if they think they have camouflaged against the wood. They prefer darker conditions as well. And give them some time to settle in, they are really jumpy at first! They mellow with age and experience.

Violetskies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay thanks! I'm not sure I'll be able to hear mine rasping, cuz he's still pretty small (like 2 inches) and there's a lot of white noise in my room. I have seen some poop though. I also just did a water change and sort of chased him out into the open, and he didn't look skinny or sick, so that's a relief. I also just got some Spiderwood, and there's no hiding on that, so maybe he'll like that enough to hang out on it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom