How do I know if my stand is strong enough?

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Aquaphobia, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

The ones sold in pet shops are mostly junk and I'm surprised they hold anything at all. I have a stand I want to use and have used for smaller tanks but I want to put a whopper on it. It's a solid piece of furniture that was made in the 60's and it's held everything from a big TV to a few smaller fish tanks. At the moment it's holding about 30 gallons worth of tank but I want to more than double that.

I felt safe putting my 20 gallon tanks on top of the dressers because the dressers are old and well built and I sat on top of them before risking it. I weigh as much a 20 gallon tank(full) and since they didn't creak or shift at all I felt they were sturdy enough.

But how do I tell with something that's going to weigh about a tonne?

2. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

What size tank are you putting on it?

3. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

Thats a great question that I was pondering myself. Only thing I came up with was to pile sandbags on it until I could pile no more. Mine past my rudimentary test and took the weight of my 55gallon... so far anyway haha heres hoping it keeps up the good work.

4. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Am I allowed to post a link to a thread on another forum? I found a really neat rebuild of a piece of furniture. Basically he gutted the piece he wanted to use and built a 2x4 frame to fit perfectly inside it. Looks like a great idea!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice