How do I know if my Ich problem is gone?

yegben

I recently had a battle with Ich in my main tank. Tank details in my profile. I was finally burned by not quarantining fish before adding them to my main tank (won’t make that mistake again!). Unfortunately I lost many fish . I used Kich Ich Pro which is what my LFS recommended. Results were… variable . I am about 4 weeks out from the initial infection and about 10-12 days removed from any visible signs of Ich at all. Anyways, the Ich seems to be gone from my tank. How long would you say I should wait before attempting to add any more replacement fish to this tank? Weeks? Months? Or I guess another way to word the question is how can I be sure that the Ich is, in fact, gone from my tank?
Thanks all. Also, for future reference does anybody in Canada have any better recommendations for Ich meds that are actually available here?

yeti79

Are you familiar with the life cycle of Ich? The answer to your questions depend upon time and temperature. They live a shorter life the warmer the water is. Your medicine more than likely targets the free swimming stage. I would be comfortable with that many days without signs personally.

yegben

Yes, I’m mostly familiar with the parasite’s cycle. The medicine I used does apparently target the free swimming form. I guess I’m a little paranoid now that it might be getting harbored in my tank somehow without visible signs.

Kellye8498

I never use ich meds. I just crank up the heat slowly and then do regular gravel vacs as the spots start to fall off. Hasn’t ever failed me. As long as you have been vacuuming up the gravel you should be fine.

Flyfisha

If you have kept the medication strength continuous for 10-14 days since the last spots the ich have all passed.
Have you been adding more medication each time you do water changes?

If the answer to those questions is yes then you can be convenient the ich is all dead. However you should still use a torch/ flashlight regularly for the next fortnight just in case the medication was not at full strength on one day when the parasites were free swimming.

yegben

I’m now on day 13 with no signs of Ich that I can see. I have been medicating that whole time and timing it with my water changes. The last dose I put in 2 days ago and I’m hoping that will be the last one. I was unaware of the flashlight trick— the things you learn here!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
TombedOrchestra
Replies
Views