How do I know if my axolotl is healthy?

Poseidontheaxolotl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone!

So I have an axanthic melanoid axolotl that is around a year old, and I am new to axolotl keeping. I have had him for about 6 months, and I just had a few questions about how I can tell if he’s happy and healthy. Since it is now summer, it is slowly getting hotter, and so is the aquarium temperature. I got him during winter, and so the temperature wasn’t really much of a problem as it was colder. Well I bought a fan off amazon that helped keep the water cold and saved me the trouble of doing a water change everyday, which really helped, however it doesn’t seem to do much now. The temperature is usually always around 70°, so when I do a 50% water change it goes down about 2°, and then goes back up to 70° after 10 minutes.

If anyone has any tips on how to help keep his water cold, anything would help. Is the temperature a big problem? I noticed today his gills were a little curled but I don’t know how to tell if they were curled or if they were fine, I was wondering if this would be due to the temperature? Another question is is it normal for them to swim back and forth at the top of the aquarium? I know they are more bottom dwellers but is it normal for them to swim at the top and go back and forth?

Here is some important info that may help:

Aquarium size: 20 high (The store didn’t have 20 long and I didn’t have a stand to support it)
Temperature: 70°
ph: 7.6
High range ph: 8.2
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Decor: I have 2 fake plants and a large bonsai tree with a hole for him to hide in but he doesn’t use it much.
Food: I feed him half a cube of bloodworms every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday and occasionally some shrimp on the weekends as a treat for being such a good boy!

I think he is fine but since I am new to owning axolotls I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with some of the questions I had. I know axolotls aren’t a common pet and not many people own them, but for those who do, do you have any tips? Here is a picture of him and the aquarium:

Attachments

OP
Poseidontheaxolotl

Poseidontheaxolotl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
StarGirl15 said:
Nice looking fish! Maybe you need to look into a chiller for him?
I did look into a chiller, however they are quite expensive. I don’t mind buying one but if their are other options I’ll try those instead. But thanks!!

New Threads