Help HOW do I know if guppies are pregnant?

ShrimpKeeper

Reaction score
I have 2 female guppies in a 20 and I moved them from my 10 gallon because the male guppies would not leave them alone! How do I know if the females are pregnant?

Best Answer - View Deku-Cory's answer

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you had a male and female in the same tank, there's a 99% chance she's pregnant. You'll start to see her gravid spot get bigger, and her belly will get larger. Eventually her stomach will start to get a boxy look to it, and that's when she's about to give birth.

OP
ShrimpKeeper

ShrimpKeeper

Reaction score
Is the gravid spot the gray under their stomach? Can I raise the fry in a big tub with no heater? How do I know when the guppies have given birth?

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, it's the dark patch on their stomach. The best way to raise the fry is to have them in the tank with a ton of hiding spaces. The strongest, healthiest fry will survive and you'll have a reasonable number. By keeping them in the tank they also have access to all the microorganisms that grow in there to consume as food. You'll know the female has given birth when she is suddenly not so big!

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ShrimpKeeper said:
So should I not raise them in a tub without a heater?
You can, if the ambient temperature is warm enough and you're ready to do frequent water changes.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ShrimpKeeper said:
How frequent? And how much?
We're gonna need more info to answer that. Generally, you could do like 3 water changes a week?

But I can't give you a good answer if you haven't even set up the tub yet, etc. A tub with bunches of floating plants could go like 6 days, no water change. A tiny plastic bin with nothing would need water changes every day probably.

New Threads