How do I keep my apple snail(s) healthy and happy?

JessGirl59

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've been having a problem keeping snails I think. My first apple snail, Steve, died when he got stuck to the filter intake. I have since installed some panty hoes to stop this from happening. Then, I went to PetSmart and got two more apple snails to fill the snail shaped hole in my life. I had had Steve for a month or two before he decided to stick to the filter. He was extremely active day and night. After his passing, I got one black and one "blue" (he is actually rather green). After getting the snails home, I noticed the black one, Batman, had cracks in his shell. I decided I would get him some calcium to fix this. I never got to get him any because he died three days after his purchase. The blue one, who is in between names right now, seems okay. Last night, I was sure he was dead because he was hanging out of his shell, and when I touched him, he did not recoil. But now he is moving around pretty good, and eating his algae wafer. He lives in a 5 gallon tank with my 3 guppies. The guppies have been around for around 6 months and are eating, growing, and happy. The snail and guppy get along well enough to leave each other alone. I keep my temperature at 75 degrees F, and my water is normal. I just added a live plant to my aquarium yesterday. I'm not sure of the name, but is is kind of vine-like and I know people with snails that have it. The snail hasn't even looked at it. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep my snail alive and happy? Thank you!

oscarsbud

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
To me it sounds like you are doing everything ok. I have mystery snails and don't do anything special for them other than drop an algae wafer every couple of days.

I do put in a piece of zucchini or lettuce or some green veggie in there 2 or 3 times a week also. Mine abolutely love it and totally demolish the whole thing. It might take him a day or so to find it, but once he does he will be one happy little snail.

JessGirl59

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you! I put a baby carrot in my tank, and that night the snail that had touched it died. I was wondering if the carrot killed him? It wasn't rotten or anything, and he barely licked it once. Maybe it was enough to kill the snail. He did have a few cracks in his shell, but other than that, I thought he was ok. Apparently not. Any thoughts on the cause of death?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom