How do I keep my apple snail(s) healthy and happy?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by JessGirl59, Dec 5, 2012.

1. J

JessGirl59 New Member Member

I've been having a problem keeping snails I think. My first apple snail, Steve, died when he got stuck to the filter intake. I have since installed some panty hoes to stop this from happening. Then, I went to PetSmart and got two more apple snails to fill the snail shaped hole in my life. I had had Steve for a month or two before he decided to stick to the filter. He was extremely active day and night. After his passing, I got one black and one "blue" (he is actually rather green). After getting the snails home, I noticed the black one, Batman, had cracks in his shell. I decided I would get him some calcium to fix this. I never got to get him any because he died three days after his purchase. The blue one, who is in between names right now, seems okay. Last night, I was sure he was dead because he was hanging out of his shell, and when I touched him, he did not recoil. But now he is moving around pretty good, and eating his algae wafer. He lives in a 5 gallon tank with my 3 guppies. The guppies have been around for around 6 months and are eating, growing, and happy. The snail and guppy get along well enough to leave each other alone. I keep my temperature at 75 degrees F, and my water is normal. I just added a live plant to my aquarium yesterday. I'm not sure of the name, but is is kind of vine-like and I know people with snails that have it. The snail hasn't even looked at it. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep my snail alive and happy? Thank you! :;snail

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

To me it sounds like you are doing everything ok. I have mystery snails and don't do anything special for them other than drop an algae wafer every couple of days.

I do put in a piece of zucchini or lettuce or some green veggie in there 2 or 3 times a week also. Mine abolutely love it and totally demolish the whole thing. It might take him a day or so to find it, but once he does he will be one happy little snail.

3. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Hi, Jess and Welcome to Fishlore! :)

The below website is an excellent source to go by. It's very informative and detailed. I hope it helps. Others may chime in soon. Good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    J

JessGirl59 New Member Member

Thank you! I put a baby carrot in my tank, and that night the snail that had touched it died. I was wondering if the carrot killed him? It wasn't rotten or anything, and he barely licked it once. Maybe it was enough to kill the snail. He did have a few cracks in his shell, but other than that, I thought he was ok. Apparently not. Any thoughts on the cause of death?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice