How do I keep my 4 bronze cory fry alive?

balletlady

Preface: This is my first time on the forum so forgive me if there are conventions to posting and this violates them.

My bronze corys laid eggs about a week ago(fry are now 4 days old)
frybasket1.jpg
frybasket2.jpg
, and I salvaged as many as I could. The eggs were laid on the glass and were being eaten by my other fish, so I scraped them off the side and put them in a 5 gal quarantine tank. But then a few days before they hatched I was doing some reading and learned that the depth of my tank would be too much for them, and not wanting them to drown I moved them to a mesh breeder net. They hatched in there, only 5 eggs hatched. I noticed fungus on the others, and having not used methylene blue or anything I expected as much. I took out the fungused eggs and saw 5 babies, but the fry kept getting stuck in between the structure of the cube and the net itself (not sure really how to explain this, you build a plastic structure and then the net goes around it). It made me anxious that I couldn't keep an eye on them, so I moved them to a floating tupperware with an airstone still in the 5.5gal tank. The next day (yesterday) I checked on the babies and one had died, and I noticed that the water temperature was 83F. Knowing Corydoras are sensitive to heat and that 83 was approaching their upper limit, I took the Tupperware from my quarantine tank and am now floating it in my main tank, which is 75F. Surprisingly I lost no fry in this process due to temperature changes, which I assumed would happen. I'll attach a pic of their current setup, but I'm doing further reading and I'm honestly just confused as to what to do.

Since its so few fry I feel like putting them in a 5 gal would be problematic especially for feeding. The 5 gal is also in an un air-conditioned room, and I'm nervous about it getting too hot. That said, I have read countless posts saying that the fry will be more likely to survive if given a sandy surface, is this true? I intend to put them into my main tank as soon as they are big enough to not get eaten. These guys have already been through so much but I want to make sure they're getting the best chance that they can, thank you guys:)

tomiyama

Just read this, how are they doing? I fed my corycat fry live baby brine shrimp which I hatched using the San Francisco bay kit. I made sure that I had a bubbler in the breeder net and I fed them tiny amounts several times a day. I then switched to Hikari first bites after the first week and then fed them thawed baby brine shrimp when I ran out of the live baby brine shrimp.

OP
balletlady

balletlady

Unfortunately they all died :( It was super sad. I put them in the 5gal but it wasn't fully cycled, and I couldn't keep up with the ammonia spikes. I've been trying to induce them to lay eggs with cool water changes but hasn't worked yet, I'll be ready next time though!

On a happier note, I got some surprise mbuna fry and my rams laid eggs last night! So far they aren't terrorizing my tank or chowing down on the eggs, but we'll see!

tomiyama

So sorry :(, my first batch died too... and so exciting about your ram eggs, good luck! Yes, the problem with having another tank is that corycats do not tolerate ammonia/nitrites at all, they need a well established tank like their parents....

New Threads