How do i keep filter cartridges clean!!!

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by MatthewM, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

Regretting having an emperor 400 on with my tank. The cartridges need replacement ALL THE TIME. flow slows down and it goes over them or backs up and goes other ways. And the cartridges are NOT cheap? Another option? Its a piece of work. Touch it and the impeller makes loud noises for a week. Turn it off for stuff and it makes your water all nasty when the water goes back down or when turned back on. It'll randomly have a really loud impeller. Might just remove it and turn up my canister flow rate. But are there other options for rite size E cartridges? Can i just clean the cartridges?

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

clean them

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yes you can clean them. When you do your water change dip and clean the cartridges in the old tank water.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You can take the material off the cartridge when it is falling apart, keep the frame, and cut this to fit and place in on the back side of the cartirdhge.

Rinse it out in tank water and replace it when it falls apart., If you want to still use carbon, put it in a media bag and place it in the bottom of the filter.

5. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

You'll never be happy with it, I would take it out to the desert and use it for target practice.If you feel that you need a hob along with the canister, get a aquaclear.

6. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

+1 Et tu. Aquaclears, although not self priming, as pointed out in another recent thread, are REALLY media-friendly. Nice big media space and no carbon cartridges that get saturated.

7. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Yep just ditched my penguin 350s in favor of Aquaclear 110s. It's such a better filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice