How do I keep certain fish from hogging all the food?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by kidster9700, Jul 22, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay, so in my 38 I have two fish that always have big fat tummies because they eat all the food. I can't fast them because the "competition" needs to eat! It's my bumblebee catfish and my betta. The catfish is hogging all the food from my cories and snails, and the betta eats everything. I can't even drop in a veggie wafer without her eating half of it. How can I make sure my other fish and the snails are getting enough???

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I chop mine into little bits and drop them down in 5 or 6 places in the tank. That way they can't be in two places at once and everyone gets some! Works well.

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I've tried that! I honestly have to drop two rounds so theres lots of pieces and I drop in the shrimp pellets and the problem is that my mystery snails aren't very fast. Even if I distract the betta with blood worms and flakes she just eats them all then goes down to the bottom and eats the shrimp pellets! She looks ready to explode and so does the bumblebee. I've even tried hand feeding the cories to help, but both of them just come in and get all the food. They're the only two "aggressive" fish in my tank but mostly all they do is just hog food...

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys are more active at night, crush their food into very small small pieces & feed after lights out, they'll find it.

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well the veggie rounds sort of get all mushy pretty fast. The bumblebee catfish is a nocturnal feeder as well, but I think that night feeding for them could help keep the other fish away from their food, too.
    Part of my reason for asking about this is that I want to give my snails some zucchini but if I feed them during the day all my other fish will eat it and if I feed at night, well the catfish and cories will get to it. :/ I would rather my cories get it though. they could use some yummy zucchini.

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys aren't veggies they need a meatier diet, a catfish pellet & live or frozen food such as bloodworm, brine shrimp etc.

7. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

the veggie rounds are mostly for the snails but the cories like them too (idk). i have shrimp pellets for the cories + bumblebee. bloodworms never make it to the bottom. except on treat day when i feed them frozen bloodworms. those actually sink rather than float like the freeze-dried. i have some bottom feeder discs but they're ingredient list is kind of gross. fish meal and wheat. the shrimp pellets actually list shrimp as the first ingredient.

8. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

You can try to train your mystery snails to eat at the water line if they'll let you handle them (mine figured it out on their own). Just stick your snails on the glass right at the water line and stick a couple flakes to the glass (slightly above water) for them to much, they'll get the hint and should start coming up on their own. I also put veggies in 2 or 3 different places to spread it around, the veggies won't hurt your fish if they munch on them, it's just roughage. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

So here's what I mean by the beta being a piggy... Today is frozen bloodworm day. She is going to kill herself eating this much. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437888111.422665.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437888123.529686.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437888133.583385.jpg
    And she almost always looks like that because my other fish are getting denied their food. She's a butt head.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I'm also concerned because I want to leave a slice of zucchini overnight once a week for my snails but i KNOW she will eat it. I would hate to have to move her out just because she eats too much.... Especially since the only available tank for her is a half gallon. And she's too pretty and active for a half gallon.

11. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Bump.
    Anyone? Feeding at night isn't working. Do I need to feed each fish individually? Because that's... Ugh.

12. Bijou88

Zuchini won't hurt your other fish, it's roughage, good for digestion for most fish. Also, when you give things like frozen bloodworms thaw them in a little container with tank water before you put them in the tank, that way you can add it slowly and spread it around more instead of just one giant heap of bloodworms.

13. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

I'm having this problem too at the moment with my harlequin rasboras hogging all the food before my honey gourami or Bolivian ram get to it. I need to get sinking pellets for the ram anyway since he/she stays at the bottom. I right now use a turkey baster and put some water in it and stick some crushed up flakes in there and then squirt the flakes right by the ram. So he/she usually gets some before the harlequins notice and take the rest. I try to get the harlequins to a different side of the tank than the gourami before I feed him so that he can get a little nibble before the harlequins take the rest once again. Not sure what I'd do in your position as the ram is my only bottom feeder (not sure if they're necessarily considered bottom feeders, but whatever) so there's no one else to compete with until the harlequins notice. The only thing you could try is the turkey baster method and see if your cories/mystery snails could get a little nibble before the catfish or betta notices. Good luck!

14. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I wiggle it around at the surface for awhile, it fell out of the tweezers though. I like the clump because then I know if it all got eaten.

15. Bijou88

That just makes it that much easier for your piggies to hog it though. With snails I seriously doubt you'll have any uneaten food left in the tank for more than a couple hours.

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Alright. So I'll defrost it and spread it around better. I have both sinking and floating food, so what happens is my betta eats with the platies and gouramis up top, then when it's all gone she goes down to the bottom and eats too. So if the cories haven't caught on that its food time, the big catfish has usually eaten his share of pellets and gets all defensive and the betta has had too much and just keeps going.
    If zucchini does help with digestion, then it might actually help her not be so lumpy and over full.

17. TypicalAqua

TypicalAqua New Member Member

What other fish do you have in your tank? If you have freshwater sharks, Plecos and live bearers you could put a full price of zucchini and they get attracted to it

18. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I have platies, pearl gourami, cories, a bumblebee catfish, snails, the betta, and I'm going to add harlequin rasboras soon. And I'm also hoping to get some ghost shrimp and a bamboo shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice