How do I introduce a younger angelfish to a bigger angelfish?

SomyaValecha

I have an angelfish that is about 1.25 inches. It's now big enough to the point where I don't have to fear it being eaten by my other angelfish that is about 4-5 inches. How should I introduce the younger angelfish? I tried to put him in my 36-gallon with other fish his size and one angelfish but the angelfish started chasing him around so I had to take him out. I know it's normal for angelfish to chase newer angelfish around but I'm afraid that the smaller angelfish can get seriously hurt since he's at a disadvantage.

TClare

Is there any way you can let the little one get used to the tank without the big one in there First? I mean can you move the big one to a different tank for a while, then put him back when the small one is settled?

I recently got some small angelfish for my new tank and I let them settle in just for just a few days before introducing the two bigger ones I already had. No problems whatsoever.

fallfever

Angelfish can be unpredictable...like cichlids always are. The larger angelfish likely sees the new one as a threat to his territory and will set boundaries. You can allow the small one to grow out in another tank, as mentioned above, or move the larger angelfish out for a brief period to disorient him. I'd also rearrange the tank and add anything new with the lights out. And watch them. Angelfish can indeed be bullies, especially to their own.

TClare

fallfever said:
Angelfish can be unpredictable...like cichlids always are. The larger angelfish likely sees the new one as a threat to his territory and will set boundaries. You can allow the small one to grow out in another tank, as mentioned above, or move the larger angelfish out for a brief period to disorient him. I'd also rearrange the tank and add anything new with the lights out. And watch them. Angelfish can indeed be bullies, especially to their own.
I do agree but I think it would be better to move the bigger one for a while and yes, rearrange everything, because if you just let the small one grow, when you introduce him the big one will still consider it his territory and may bully the other one even if it is as big as him.

AggressiveAquatics

Maybe put a divider in there and leave it for a few days.

SomyaValecha

I tried to get him used to the tank while the other angelfish was on the other side of the tank. It looked like it was working well. During the 10 minutes I watched the tank, everyone was getting along well. But, I returned 3 hours later to find the smaller angelfish hiding and with badly damaged fins. I'm glad I got to him before he died, I'll wait until to put him in that tank until he's way bigger than he is now. I just feel bad because he got really hurt because of what I did
SomyaValecha said:
I tried to get him used to the tank while the other angelfish was on the other side of the tank. It looked like it was working well. During the 10 minutes I watched the tank, everyone was getting along well. But, I returned 3 hours later to find the smaller angelfish hiding and with badly damaged fins. I'm glad I got to him before he died, I'll wait until to put him in that tank until he's way bigger than he is now. I just feel bad because he got really hurt because of what I did
The irony is that the angelfish that hurt him was his Dad :/

SomyaValecha

SomyaValecha said:

The irony is that the angelfish that hurt him was his Dad :/
Ahhhhh I feel sooo bad. The angelfish died today (((((((

TClare

SomyaValecha said:
Ahhhhh I feel sooo bad. The angelfish died today (((((((
Oh, what a shame, so sorry...

Dennis57

Sorry to hear about your Angel

Latest threads

Top Bottom