How Do I Hatch Ghost Shrimp Eggs Outside Of Ghost Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Natalia666, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Natalia666

Natalia666Valued MemberMember

I had a pregnant ghost shrimp who sadly died from what looked like parasites and I took the eggs out and put them in a mason jar, does anyone know how I can hatch them?

Edit: they are green in colour and have two black dots in them
    I will put a heating pad underneath the jay and should I put my air stone in?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Themaniac19Valued MemberMember

They'll need to be fanned. Chances are they won't make it.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

Unfortunately (unless some sort of breeding miracle occurs or they are very late in maturity) they probably won't hatch. Shrimp are "livebearers" in the Sense they will incubate the eggs until they are ready to hatch and once they are, release them as baby shrimp, which will then attatch themselves to her swimmerets. So there is a good chance that without proper nutrients from mom, they won't hatch, unless they are so late into developing that they would have hatched in a day or two if mom was still alive. I'm curious as to the outcome (since you see two black dots...possibly eyes?)so please update!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

You might be able to hatch them if you put them in a tubler or something like that...but this would have to be done immediately after the shrimp died, and even then i'm not sure if it would work. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Natalia666

I do not have a tumbler so I put an airstone in so everything keeps moving, I'm hoping for a miracle!

6. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

it might work it if is in like a small circular container to target the eggs better :) I saw the mason jar just now, it might work! Good luck!

7. Polyrhythm

PolyrhythmValued MemberMember

It's definitely possible but difficult. When one of my newly berried RCS died I removed the eggs and put them into a small cup. Kept up on water changes for a bit but eventually I got to caught up in work, but I did somehow get one live baby out of that. I'm guessing as long as you really kept up on maintenance you'd get more survivors.

8. OP
    OP
    Natalia666

Great, thanks everyone! And does anyone know how long it take until they hatch when their eyes are visible? I know its soon, but...

9. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Making a tumbler is incredibly easy, a short 2-6" piece of pvc pipe an airstone and a piece of foam/mesh/pantyhose etc snd you have a basic tumbler, with a little effort you can make a quite nice one and I use them for various eggs with great success.

Unfortunately with the ghost shrimp I'm not sure, mine breed like crazy on their own. The larvae need green water/infusoria or most will die.

10. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Link to an article from planetinverts where this is discussed...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice