How Do I Handle Babys?

Dropszecolorlord

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so..ive had a group of 3 swordtails 2 female 1 male for about 2-3 weeks (i'm terrible at keeping time)
so I have a pregnant sword tail there's no question (I can't post a pic sorry) shes pretty plump but theirs no spot that they get from the fries eyes (dont remember the name).

I knew I would end up with fry so I bought a pregnancy box thingy. I did not expect fry this quickly I don't have a spare tank. because of the fact I don't have a job (yet) and my parents refuse to buy one. BUT I do have a 13 gallon tank currently occupied by a black convict (ik its to small I'm working on getting him a bigger one). i'm not sure of I want to let the fry try to live with there mom and the other fish in the tank or give them to the convict and let him do what he does to them. I have only a few hiding spots in each tank and I'm kinda freaking out cus I don't know when shes gunna pop and its just a LOAD that I don't know how to handle no mater how much reserch I do

if you understand any of that please help

sfsamm

Well Known
Reaction score
Just leave them be and the parents are apt to "resolve" your bioload worries for you. Especially if there's not much in the way of hiding places. And if they don't you can treat the convict or see if your lfs will take them in.

ChiefBrody

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Free convict food. What's the problem? It won't be the first batch for sure. Also throw some moss in there or floating plants and maybe they can hide from they're parents

OP
Dropszecolorlord

Dropszecolorlord

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ChiefBrody said:
Free convict food. What's the problem? It won't be the first batch for sure. Also throw some moss in there or floating plants and maybe they can hide from they're parents
I have 2 moss balls and 2 plants. I would like a planted tank but my dad, the one who wanted the tank wanted glofish so there's not that much for hiding spots but I'm hoping to make the tank mostly planted

ChiefBrody

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds awesome. I never separate livebearers and have had success keeping them with various dwarf ciclids, African dwarf frogs, loaches, shrimp, there's always options. You lose some but there's always more. Don't let ppl scare you on here. Guppy fry is highly prized food and it'd be a shame to waste it. Beats any lfs feeders any day. I'd never use those filthy things. Maybe for larger predators like mammals and reptiles but certainly not tropical fish

OP
Dropszecolorlord

Dropszecolorlord

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Should I put the mother in a pregnancy box sence I bought one or will that be too stressful

ChiefBrody

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If she's getting pecked at by the male or other fish, why not? But if she seems happy... hey if it ain't broke why fix it, right?

stress during pregnancy can trigger birth but then the mother usually dies so...

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom