1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

How Do I Get Rid Of String Algae? How Do I

1. C

Charles B New Member Member

Hello!

The title is pretty self-explanatory. I've been having this issue for a while now. The algae is on the plants as well as the driftwood.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

Algae occurs due to excess light and nutrients.

I would say to pull out as much of it as you can manually, turn the light off and either keep it off for the next few days or only turn it on for a short period each time (2-4hrs Max of 6-8hrs...). As well as that...if your tank has been cycled and is healthy. Do some small water changes over the coarse of the next few days to lessen the amount of excess nutrients in the water.
    That's the cheapest-manual- way to handle it.

If you want a quick fix, you could go with an algaecide to kill off the algae, though some algaecides contain copper and can hurt invertebrates. I almost never recommend it because...the algae really should go away with regular maintenance and lesser light levels...

You could buy a polyfilter, or a media that reduces nitrate, phosphates and other nutrients-that may help...

Advertisement

3. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Too much light and too much nutrients in the water could be the cause. Try cutting your photo period to about 6 hours, reduce intensity for two weeks, and perform weekly water changes and you should see an improvement. Once the algae goes away, you can gradually increase your light settings and find the balance.

4. OP
    OP
    C

Charles B New Member Member

Yes, when I first got the tank I lost track of time leading to the excessive amount of light. Thank you for the responses!

5. Zigi Zig

Zigi Zig Well Known Member Member

There is many ways to control algae however it is hard to remove it .. you will have to take everything out and gently scrub it use bleach to soak plants and very lightly scrub them to not damage leafs.. if you have build up algae on glass clean it and scrub it best you can and change 50% water.. If you having issues algae keep coming back you will have to look at you lights see how long you keep them on. Relocating your tank be option as well if is getting direct lights from outside..