How do I get rid of Rhabdocoela Flatworms

PlantedCommunityTank132

I think I have a pretty big population of flatworms in my tank. I don't have any pics because the worms are too small for the camera lens to focus on. Is there any way I can get rid of these worms? Its a 15 gallon aquarium stocked with shrimp. Is there a fish that eats the worms but not the shrimp?

Found this pic on the internet

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 7.46.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 7.46.29 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

RedOnion

I think I have a pretty big population of flatworms in my tank. I don't have any pics because the worms are too small for the camera lens to focus on. Is there any way I can get rid of these worms? Its a 15 gallon aquarium stocked with shrimp. Is there a fish that eats the worms but not the shrimp?

Found this pic on the internet
Ive seen my ember tetras go for detritus worms before, they may eat the flatworms too. The embers dont harm shrimp for me and all the shrimp bred normally with them

PlantedCommunityTank132

Are the worms even bad? Do the fish eat the baby shrimp?

RedOnion

The worms themselves are not bad and do not harm anything. As long as the head is not pointy like a triangle (which is Planaria) then they are okay. My ember tetras have never gone for baby shrimp.

JLAquatics

Rhabdocoela Flatworms, unlike Planaria Flatworms are completely harmless to your shrimp so I wouldn't worry about getting rid of them completely. They will naturally be present in aquariums and actually can be a sign you are doing things right and you have a healthy habitat. However, if you start seeing a ton of these guys all over your glass it means you have excess food sources of some sort in your water that these guys are eating which should be corrected on your end.

They are also resilient to Planaria Zero and similar products which have Betel nut Palm Extract in my experience (used when I eradicated Hydra, an dangerous pest in my shrimp tank) so I wouldn't even try to get rid of them using these...

Additionally, if you want to have fish in your shrimp tank there are a few safe options to try as long as the tank is densely planted.

RedOnion mentioned Ember Tetras which work great in my experience as I currently own this combination in one of my planted setups. Additionally, micro Rasboras would most likely work well too. If your shrimp are the high grade expensive varieties I still don't recommend it just to be on the safe side but standard grade Cherries should be just fine with some nano fish.

Got bested by RedOnion right when I was about to post! :hilarious:

RedOnion

Got bested by RedOnion right when I was about to post! :hilarious:
That seems to always happens to me with other posts:D

PlantedCommunityTank132

Thanks for the info :). How many ember tetras do you think could fit in this tank? I started seeing them today, and they're quite a lot on the aquarium glass. I think I overdosed the easy green all in one liquid fertilizer from aquarium co-op, which might have been the cause of this outbreak of worms.

Attachments

• tempImagecbRbKy.png
    tempImagecbRbKy.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • tempImagenNqn1i.png
    tempImagenNqn1i.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

RedOnion

Thanks for the info :). How many ember tetras do you think could fit in this tank? I started seeing them today, and they're quite a lot on the aquarium glass. I think I overdosed the easy green all in one liquid fertilizer from aquarium co-op, which might have been the cause of this outbreak of worms.
You could easily have 10-12 in this 15g. They are very small but a beautiful orange color that pop against the green plants!

PlantedCommunityTank132

Thanks. Do you think the worms would go away on their own if I do regular water changes?

RedOnion

Thanks. Do you think the worms would go away on their own if I do regular water changes?
Yeah they should slowly start to go away if there is not enough food/nutrients for them. Water changes and less food/ferts should help. I used to see them in my tanks all the time but I dont see them anymore. Could be the fish ate them or because I lessened the feeding.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Okay. I will try doing water changes more regularly then, and if that doesn't help will get some ember tetras. Thanks for the help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
RHONDA PIMENTEL
Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views