How do i get rid of Black beard algae?

animalgirl257
hi so i have a 60litre tank and a few weeks ago i spotted some black beard algae. I removed it and it keeps coming back more and more. It is really annoying me and i cant seem to get rid of it. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? my current stocking is 2 platys- one i will move to another tank soon, 2 bettas- one i will move to another tank soon as well, 4 otocinclus and 3 peppered corydoras. I was thinking of getting some more friends for my corydoras and maybe a mystery snail.
I have heard that siamese algae eaters eat blackbeard algae and that black mollies do as well. Do they do a good job and would i have enough space for one of them? Thank you

skar
I believe you have a 10 gallon tank ?
I don't think that's enough room for a sae, if you can find one !
Sae are often not available and are actually a different fish.
They also get to 6 inchs so are a bit big.

BBa is a tough one,, I spot dose flourish excel with a syringe.
That has been the only thing that has worked for me.

animalgirl257
I have a 15gallon i think not a 10 gallon. So would i be able to get the siamese algae eater in that? Also do black mollies eat the algae. I think i have seen both at my local fish store so i think getting them wont be a problem. If not, i will try the flourish excel. Thank you so much for your help.

SouthAmericanCichlids
No, still to small. And yes you have 15.83 gallon, but still to small.

animalgirl257
what about a black molly?if i had 1 betta, 1 platy, and 4 ottos that are really shy? also 3 peppered corydoras which i might get more of- not sure

Dennis57
I would suggest getting a SAE, (small) then once it gets to big you can rehome it. I know a lot of people that do this.

animalgirl257
good idea. would the algae come back though after i have rehomed it?

i want to avoid using chemicals. I have heard that more plants especially floating plants work well as they absor. My tank does have some plants and i was going to add some more including floating ones anyway. Do they work?

Dennis57
That's all depends. The primary cause of a black beard infestation is from contaminated plants, decoration items or substrate introduced into the aquarium. An aquarium with reduced carbon dioxide levels and too much light will allow black beard algae to grow uncontrollably.

animalgirl257
yes, i think i have my light on too much, i could get floating plants to block some of the light? so would a black molly work?

SnookusFish
Clithon corona snails are better than sae or anything else at eating bba. Aka horned nerite snails. Get a group of them and in a few weeks it will be gone

Dennis57
How long is the light on for?
Mollies do pick at algae, but its mostly hair algae that grows on the leaves of plants. To make them efficient at being a algae eater you would severely have to underfeed them, which I do not recommend doing.

animalgirl257
SnookusFish said:
Clithon corona snails are better than sae or anything else at eating bba. Aka horned nerite snails. Get a group of them and in a few weeks it will be gone
i have a lid but it has a big gap around the edges so would these snails climb out?
Dennis57 said:
How long is the light on for?
Mollies do pick at algae, but its mostly hair algae that grows on the leaves of plants. To make them efficient at being a algae eater you would severely have to underfeed them, which I do not recommend doing.
usually the light is on from 7-9 am until 9-10pm.
I will not get the molly then

Top Bottom