How do I get rid of baby fish I can't keep (without letting them die)?

AlexW9102

Reaction score
I'm such a softie for animals and I hate to see my fish eat their babies. I have a molly that recently had some babies, but we don't have enough room in our tanks to keep them all. I thought that maybe I can put the male in a different tank to keep them from mating, but the fish in my other tank have different needs when it comes to water, so they aren't compatible. I have to either find a good home for them or allow my fish to eat them. Does anyone know of ways I can get them a home elsewhere?

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most LFS will take them, depending on the type they may even give you store credit :)

OP
A

AlexW9102

Reaction score
L
e_watson09 said:
Most LFS will take them, depending on the type they may even give you store credit :)
That's awesome! I'm glad to know they can take my fish. I'll look for some stores in my area. Thanks you!

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
See if you can get rid of the females and just keep a few males.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Females will store sperm for 6+ months so rehoming the males wont help you will have to get rid of the females if you dont want fry

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wanted to add a little more information/advice :p

So generally most LFS (and even some pet stores) will at least take the babies in once they get big enough to sell. This usually takes about 12 weeks or so depending on how you take care of them (water changes, food, etc). So you'll want to make sure you have space to grow out the fry. If you give them to them earlier there is a chance the fry would end up a meal versus get sold as a pet.

Depending on the type, if you grow them out to full size often LFS will give you store credit. A lot of fish hobbyist do this because lets face it there are expenses to the hobby. You may not get much (if anything) for molly fry BUT the little bit you might get could pay for food or maybe be put towards new equipment or something! Generally they're not going to pay top dollar or anything when they do this as their goal is to sell the fish and make money on it. You can usually expect about 1/4 of the retail price of the fish or so. Sometimes more for harder to find fish sometimes less for super common fish. It really depends on your personal LFS.

If you don't want babies going forward I would remove the female and take her back to your LFS as well.

LightBrownPillow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can also try and find fellow hobbyists in your area who might take them. You can get a little more money this way & maybe make some friends!

New Threads