How do I get my betta to stop bothering my snail . . .?

VRValicento

I've had my betta for about 2 1/2 weeks, and he was at home in his 2.5 gallon tank, but looked bored. I went to the pet store to get him a friend that wasn't a betta because of the size of the tank/bowl. I bought a black mystery snail a week ago and I spent the first 24 hours tapping the tank every time the betta started to get aggressive. He calmed down a little after that, but it seems in the last two days, he's taken exception to my poor little snail. He attacked him on the side opposite of where I could see him, so I came in at the end. I know that snails roll up in their shells, but after the attack I moved him to a side where I could see him and he hasn't moved in over 12 hours. Is that normal? Should I remove my betta for a little while so my snail can come out of his shell and move around? I don't think he's eaten properly in at least 2 days because every time he gets near the bettas uneaten pellets he gets spooked and drops to the bottom. Someone had mentioned giving my betta a time out, should I do that and when? I don't want my snail to starve to death and I think they generally get a long, it is only once and a while that my betta gets aggressive. but they share this tank. Most of the time my betta will swim up to him and sort of sniff him and move on, but other times he attacks or spooks him. I also don't know if my snail's shell might be damaged because it has scratches on it and that could have come from when he fell off the top of the tank (which he does when he reached the top of the water line) or when he fell because he was attacked.

I also don't know if snails are active anytime of the day or if at a certain time, because it seems at first he was active at night and discovered his own roller coaster, climbing the side of the tank next to the filter and then bouncing on the top of filter until he fell to the bottom and then did again and again and again, for about 8 times. It was fun to watch and I was glad that the only thing on the bottom was the gravel, so he/she would hurt the shell.

Help me please. I love both of them already and it's like the big kid/little kid situation and I hate to think of what might happen when I'm not home.

Shawnie

bettas don't always tolerate anything else live in their tanks....its evident, hes one of them you could try adding a small airstone or even a gerbil plastic tube(cave) and switch up some of his deco, to see if you can keep him occupied...but be prepared, you still may have to rehome the snail for its safety

bettalover77

Hey bettas can NOT be housed with other bettas with the snail just take the snail out and put him in another bowl/tank.

1 gallon tank- Sun Fire(boy)
3 gallon tank- Berry(boy)
1/2 a gallon(for right now)-Calli(boy/girl?)
10 gallon- Tiffany, Violet, Queen(all girls)

Shawnie

Hey bettas can NOT be housed with other bettas with the snail just take the snail out and put him in another bowl/tank.

1 gallon tank- Sun Fire(boy)
3 gallon tank- Berry(boy)
1/2 a gallon(for right now)-Calli(boy/girl?)
10 gallon- Tiffany, Violet, Queen(all girls)

not sure why you posted this...the op doesn't have other bettas in there just a snail...or am I missing something?

VRValicento

You're not missing anything. It's just my betta and my snail.

Shawnie

You're not missing anything. It's just my betta and my snail.

ok thought so....I re read it a few times as I have many "brunette" moments

VRValicento

Hey, I'm a brunette.

Butterfly

Seems once they become fixated on something in "their" tank (and they know its their tank) they are hard to deter. Mine used to watch his snail climb to the top of the glass and when the snail would get to the top the Betta would knock him off then watch him climb it again. Over and over as many times as the snail would climb. As long as the snail was on the bottom he ignored it. I finally moved the snail as I was afraid he was going to get hurt being knocked off the glass so much.
Just some thoughts
Carol

VRValicento

Hi,

My betta, Twilight, still bothers my snail, Midnight, occasionally. He goes over to Midnight and "sniffs" and might try to "bite" but it is only if Midnight is sticking to the side of the tank and that's all Twilight can see (no decor around). But I think Midnight has learned not to just roll up and drop. He tucks in his shell, but he doesn't drop to the bottom of the tank like he did in the beginning.

On 7/7 I bought Kordon Fish Protector with B12 and Echinacea and removed everybody. I put the snail in a huge clear glass (he did climb up the side, so I guess he was OK) and the betta in the little cup he came in, both were in water treated with the Betta Complete Water Conditioner (which I've used since I got the Betta), so I could use the water they were in to put them back in the tank. I then emptied the tank and rinsed everything with water and reset the substrate and decor in the tank. Since I originally posted I bought some Betta plant bulbs and another 2 lb bag of gravel (now I have rocks at the bottom of the bowl covered with blue/green gravel, and the purple gravel). I refilled the tank/bowl with water treated with the conditioner and the fish protector. I bought the fish protector to give my betta some protection from getting sick and to ease his stress (just in case the snail was stressing him out). I think Twilight might have been trying to feed Midnight on Thursday night because all of his extra food pellets were pushed next to Midnight when he was at the top of the waterline (usually they are on the opposite side of the filter, at least 3 inches away). That made me feel better.

Since then Midnight has discovered how to hang out on the branches of a plastic bush, and I mean hang (the leaves and the branches are thin and he has to wrap himself around them to hang on). It seems he's developed a need to take a roller coaster ride off the filter and hang from trees. I did cluster all the plastic plants in little groups around the tank to give Twilight a stable bed to sleep on and Midnight a place to hide when Twilight was being a pain and I planted the bulbs where there wasn't any decor.

Because Twilight was being a pain to Midnight since I first got him I bought a bag of algae wafers to make sure that Midnight did get something to eat because it didn't look like he was eating Twilight's left over food. But he doesn't seem to like the wafers. I've put them in the tank twice and he didn't go near them. Twilight did, to investigate, but Midnight never went near them and all they did was break down and make a mess. I am changing most of the water in the tank and cleaning the top of the gravel tomorrow because of it. Because I feed my betta a pea once a week I've even tried to give him the leftovers (when Twilight stops going after the pieces I know he's done eating) by putting some of the tank water in the small bowl I had the pea in and put Midnight in it and left him alone for hours so he could get comfortable and move around to get the food, but he would move around, but not go near the leftovers.

Today when I was giving him the pea leftovers I gave him a quick look over, checking to make sure Twilight didn't hurt him. I noticed a small crack.

I took some pictures of Midnight. Maybe someone can help me with the crack? I was also curious about the hole on his foot. In the picture of his foot it is hard to see, but it is on the top right side and on the direct opposite is something else. I don't know if it is a hole or another part of the snails anatomy, but I did touch it for a second to make sure it wasn't debris and all it felt like was a bump under the foot, or part of the foot. I guess I'm just curious about him now and I most certainly don't want to lose him. If anyone can tell me it's a boy or a girl by looking at the pictures I'd appreciate that too. There are also a few other cracks that look like they've healed, but I'm not sure. Could someone just look at the pictures and tell me anything they can about Midnight?

If you want to look at the info about my tank, I have updated the testing information from the Mardel test strip. I tested the tank after I set it up on 7/7.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Attachments

• rsz_sn851169.jpg
    rsz_sn851169.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,606
  • rsz_sn851177.jpg
    rsz_sn851177.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 2,151
  • rsz_sn851178.jpg
    rsz_sn851178.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,417
  • rsz_sn851180.jpg
    rsz_sn851180.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,471
  • rsz_sn851182.jpg
    rsz_sn851182.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,655

Kupcake

You should take your snail out of the tank with the betta, with a crack like that you wouldnt want it to get worse. You should have some kind of calcium supplement in the tank, either egg shells or a cuttle bone (for birds-with no metal on it) in pantyhose in your filter. You should also be feeding high calcium foods to your snail, like zuchinni.

There might be a way to patch the shell, you would have to do some research on that topic as I have never encountered this problem personally. A good place to start is applesnail.net

VRValicento

Thank you for the advice. I was sort of hoping that the additional supplement drops that I was putting in the tank would help my snail too, it does say that it helps invertebates.

I realize that most people say that bettas and snails shouldn't be tank mates, but I'm not going to give up just yet.

I will take out the hard decor for now in case he is dropping on the turtle and fish decor, even though he does climb over it. I can't take out the cave. My betta loves the cave, it's another place he sleeps.

My snail is active at night, when it's dark. Boy, is he or she fast. My fish bowl doesn't have a light, so when I turn off the light there isn't any light in the room. My betta sleeps at night, at least that's what I've noticed.

I will look into putting a calcium supplement in the tank. I was going to see what the algae tablets also contained, to see if they had calcium in them. If not, I will try the veggies or egg shell route. Although I do have Tums in my medicine cabinet.

Doesn't additional calcium hurt the tank for the betta?

Thanks again for the advice. I'll get on the calcium supplement now, so I have something to occupy Midnight tomorrow when I change the tank and he's in another container.

jbobsfunnyfarm

Well, the betta looked bored, so you got him a snail - now he's not bored anymore LMBO!

I'm too scared to put any of my snails in with the bigger bettas. I have snails in my fry tank but that's it. For "social entertainment" I put a female betta in a tank beside the male's tank. They flirt and flare at each other and unless I'm planning on breeding them soon, I put a card between the tanks most of the time so they don't get over stimulated.

jerilovesfrogs

it looks as if kupcake is right about calcium. I would say the crack is from lack of it. I use eggshell myself. and zucchini.

also, I think the snail probably doesn't appreciate being harassed by the betta. I took a snail out after 5 min b/c my betta was nipping. it's not fair to the snail. you have to consider his feelings too.....

VRValicento

I have 2 snails now. After I added the second one Twilight may flash his anger for a second, but then he swims away and leaves them alone. Of course, I'm having an issue with my first snail, but I posted that in the snails forum.

I have tried the egg shells, but they made my tank smell. I now put a calcium tablet in the tank, but contrary to popular belief, or it could just be both of my snails, the snails don't eat it, all the tablet does is just cloud the water and the cloud won't go away.

Does Melafix or Primafix or even Bettafix hurt snails? My betta scratched himself on the new filter and is missing some scales so I bought those over the internet and I wanted to know if the additives would hurt the snails.

Thanks

LyndaB

I went to the pet store to get him a friend that wasn't a betta because of the size of the tank/bowl.

I'm pretty sure this is why that post was made about not having more than one betta..... I also read the above to translate that if the existing tank was larger, the poster would've brought home another betta as a "friend".

And just to drive the point home, in case this assumption was correct, do not ever ever ever ever ever put two bettas in the same tank.

I think they prefer to be alone simply because they need to be alone....

VRValicento

I know not to put two bettas in the same tank. The one betta I have is enough. He's momma's little boy. I'm not going to get another fish unless I lose him, and then I'm going with goldfish. I don't even want to breed bettas.

jerilovesfrogs

egg shells shoudn't make the tank smell. mine do not.

and also, melafix, pimafix and bettafix all have an ingredient that could harm the labryinth organ in bettas. so use caution if you use them. however I don't think meds are necessary with just a scrape. my betta had one once and it healed fine on its own.

VRValicento

Thanks.

I blocked where my betta was swimming under the filter with more gravel and his missing scales look better.

Now my first snail, the one with the crack in his shell and I haven't seen him crawling around for about a week, I can see his siphon tip sticking out of the side of the bottom/foot of his shell. Last night I wasn't so sure, I thought it was an air bubble that was going to be huge. Last night I picked him up and then I realized that he was sticking his siphon out because he closed up tight when I lifted him. Right now he's doing the same thing. So he's slowly coming out of his shell, I just don't know why after his siphon was out all night and being left alone by both the other snail and my betta he hasn't come out further? He is surrounded by brocollI pieces, which was the last real food I saw him eat, but he still won't come out. At least I know he's alive, but I know that he hasn't eaten in over a week. I put the brocollI in there about 12 hours ago and I know that I shouldn't leave it in there but if I go near him he'll tuck in again, and I think the longer I leave it in the softer it will get. It doesn't look like it's decaying yet, if it does I will take it out. I'll give him fresh pieces in a couple of hours anyway. But I do wish he'd come out and walk around.

jerilovesfrogs

I am not sure how well mysteries like broccolI or not. mine really like zucchinI though. you can try blancing veggies in the mirco for 30 sec or something to soften them up. zuc is soft enough I think, so I dont. I also hand fed my mystery the other day with a frozen bloodworm, it was so funny! he was at the water line, so I decided to try, he loved it and begged for an hour! of course I only gave him a few.

but you should only leave a veggie in for 12, and no more than 24 hrs....or they can mess the water quickly and/or cloud it. perhaps he is eating at night? some mysteries are not very active in the day, but are at night. idk. also, try a bottom feeder wafer....mine "run" to those also.

VRValicento

Thanks.

I've tried zucchini, cucumber, and algae wafers but he wouldn't eat any of it. The first time I put the brocollI in he at 2/3 of what I put in there, but that was two weeks ago. I only left the brocollI in for another hour and took it out. I'll put in another piece tonight. He is active at night because he's a black mystery snail, but he didn't move last night. He hasn't moved for days unless I pick him up to make sure he's still alive and I don't do that unless it's been at least two days. My ivory snail won't sit still, day or night, I can't keep track of where that one is unless I search.

jerilovesfrogs

well, all snails are different. i've heard of some not moving for long periods. my two magentas move all the time mostly. and if they sleep, it's not for long enough that I wonder if they're ok. you may just have a very tired snail or perhaps he is still scared of the betta. if they feel insecure, i'm sure that could affect how much they move.....

VRValicento

I don't know if Midnight is still afraid of my betta or not because he won't stick his head out. I've put him in a container by himself with food and he still didn't move.

If he is still scared of my betta hopefully he'll figure out that it's safe now, soon. He's had his syphon out a little bit since last night and my betta hasn't even gone near him for days. Whatever part of his body is his senses I hope that they are telling him that there's no one bothering him, except me putting food in there for him. I can see a little tiny bit of his body sticking out because his shell is uneven where his foot is, I think it's his syphon because it's too big to be his eye and I know it's a part of his body because last night when I picked him up after I first saw it (I thought it was a really large air bubble and freaked) he was sticking to the gravel but then he tucked in and locked himself up tight. He came back out just like he is now a little while later after I realized he was coming out and put him right back down. Even my other snail doesn't bother him or his food.

I'll just wait and see, at least I know he's alive.

I lost Midnight today. My black mystery snail didn't make it. I went out to an appointment and when I got home my other snail was floating around in the tank, so I thought to take both of them out. I know that snails occasionally float to get where they want to go, but the snail wasn't in the shell nice and tight, so I took him out. I checked on Midnight and his foot moved and I could pull it off, so I know that he's dead.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help.

jerilovesfrogs

sorry are you sure he was? did you give him a little sniff?

VRValicento

Yes I did. His foot came almost the whole way off.

Kupcake

Your second snail was floating and your origional snail was dead? I would highly recommend that you remove the remaining snail. Something in your tank isn't right and even if you don't see aggression out of your betta you have in the past, and that could be what killed Midnight.

VRValicento

I took Sunrise out immediately. It's in a small critter carrier that I bought for when I had to do water changes and had to take out the betta. When I came home and she was floating her body wasn't completely tucked in and it scared me, but when I picked her up and tried to move her foot she tucked in tight.

The night before she got caught behind the filter and was stuck between the filter and the side of the tank. Her shell is big and I think she tried to crawl somewhere and got caught. When I woke up in the middle of the night is when I saw her and moved her, but I think she tried to get her self unstuck and might have pulled her body and hurt herself. Right now she's very skittish and closes up slowly at any movement or sound near her. The water is only as deep as her shell this morning. I changed it because I left food for her last night and I knew that it needed changing. I also did it so she wouldn't have to crawl up the side so far to reach the air. When Sunrise comes out of her shell I can't see her mouth or eyes. I see her syphon come out every so often for air, but when she's climbing up the side I don't see her mouth. I see little feelers, but no mouth. She still doesn't close up tight unless you sort of prod her to. I'm hoping that she did just stretch her body too far and just needs time to rest and get her body back in the right spots in her shell. Like a human strained a muscle.

I bought a 5 gallon tank and set it up yesterday and it's been cycling. I'm still waiting for more gravel to come in today's mail before I set it up completely, but I filled it with water and it's been running since about 7 last night. I hope the water level really doesn't need to be all the way to the top, so everyone can have some air.

Would primafix hurt the snail? I bought some because my betta scratched himself on the filter and lost a few scales and I put half the normal dosage in the water before I cycled it. If it won't hurt the snail, maybe it might help her?

Worse comes to worse, I'll put the betta in the new tank alone and the snail in the old one.

Have a good day.

VRValicento

My betta is now separated from my snails. thank for the advice

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishPlanet
  • BananaBetta
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Amberk9