How do I get Crystal Clear Water?

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the topic says it all.

I have a 125 gallon tank that's probably a bit overstocked with two catfish, one arrowana, one oscar and two king kong parrots...

I've been able to get the water fairly clear in the past. I change the water weekly (approximately 40%). I also have a koralia fan for water movement.

I recently started using big als water conditioner when I change my water. could this be the reason?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the fact that you have large fish with a huge bioload, is the reason for not so clear...you can add more filtration, carbon that will be changed out once a month, extra filter floss, up the water changes to 2 times a week, or rehome some ...ive been there and its not fun but whatever situation works for you, those are some of my suggestions

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah I think its time to rehome some fish here but you could try more and bigger filterers

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My approach would be to first assess what you currently have.

What filter are you currently using? If it's a canister, it should be turning over your water at least 7 times per hour with your stocking, preferably more. Eg you want a filter (or filters) that is doing around (a combined) 900 GPH, ie 2 x 450GPH would suffice.

What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? High levels of nitrogenous waste will cause cloudy water, and it's best to reduce those rather than chemically removing them.

If you have adequate filtration, and no ammonia etc, then I would start to look at mechanical filtration (such as fine filter wool), then if still not happy, I would look at chemical filtration water polishing products such as carbon, or others that I haven't tried, like Fluval's opti-carb.

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks everyone for the great advice. I am thinking about getting another canister filter. currently running an rena xp4. I'll open up another thread on external canisters.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
100% polyester pillow filling at walmart for floss worked great for me and my canister. (got the advice from someone on this site and I couldn't be happier with the results.) More filters the better mine is twice the size need for my tank. Oh yeah and don't splash the water too much when adding it, at least that was one of my problems.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would rehome the Arowana soon, it'll need around 200-300 gallon minimum. But some Aro keepers have done well with 180 gallons. Best of luck!

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sorry, I am not sure if this makes a difference but I just wanted to note that my fish are still fairly small. the oscar is about 5 inches, parrots are about the same size, catfish is 4inch and 6 inch and arrowana is maybe 11 inches. I didn't think that my tank was overstocked based on the size. the tank was rather empty and for that reason, I bought the two parrots.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
small fish that still have a huge bioload so for now they have swimspace but it is evident something isnt keeping up with their bioload...maybe the more filtration, extra floss, up the water changes, and running carbon will help for now or, when was the tank started and what's the current readings? it could be still cycling and having bacteria blooms....you don't have this tank listed so wasn't sure when you got it up and running!

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shawnie said:
small fish that still have a huge bioload so for now they have swimspace but it is evident something isnt keeping up with their bioload...maybe the more filtration, extra floss, up the water changes, and running carbon will help for now or, when was the tank started and what's the current readings? it could be still cycling and having bacteria blooms....you don't have this tank listed so wasn't sure when you got it up and running!

The tank has been running for a couple of months now and I really have to update my tank listing hahaha..

the last time I ran the test kit, everything was pretty much at zero (nitrate, ammonia, and nitrite). I'll run the test kit today again.

I also opened up a thread on external canister systems. I dont' knwo what happened to it though = ( was it deleted?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads