How do I get calcium to my snails?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by cheesepuff, Aug 6, 2015.

1. cheesepuff

cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

I know my snails need calcium, but what do I buy to get it to them?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I've heard of people adding cuttlebone to their tanks or adding calcium blocks

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Kyle 2048

Kyle 2048Valued MemberMember

When my snails need calcium I add pieces of cuttle bone to the water and feed it veggies rich with calcium such as broccoli, spinach and lettuce.

Kyle

4. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I've heard cuttlebone will raise the pH in the tank, so I would like to avoid that option. Where can i buy calcium blocks?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Cuttlebone didn't raise the ph in my tanks at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I believe you can buy Calcium Blocks on ebay.

7. Kyle 2048

Like what bijou88 said, cuttlebone doesn't raise ph.

Kyle

8. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

Cool. Is there any particular place where I should get it? And what would be considered a good price?

9. Bijou88

You can get it anywhere that sells pet supplies, it's in with the bird stuff. Around here it's usually between $1-$3, so pretty cheap.

10. Kyle 2048

Id say about a buck or two. Sometimes 2 for 1.50 if you live in Canada get it at pet smart in the bird section, if you don't look in the bird section at your local pet store or chain pet store.

Kyle

11. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I use egg shells placed in a filter media bag and hide it in my filter for additional calcium. Usually just 3 cracked eggs, rinse the shells and place them in the bag, then the filter (or hidden in the aquarium). I replace the shells about every 2 to 3 months once they are mostly dissolved. Seems to work well for my Nerites.

Ken

12. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I put some lettus in the tank for them to eat. I read that this can help. Is this true?

13. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Check out the information below concerning the nutritional value of Lettuce:

Yes, Lettuce does contain Calcium.

Ken

14. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

15. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I'm not sure what the GH is sadly. My water goes through a softener. My iceberg lettuce is kind of just floating at the top of the tank now. Despite my water finally being fully cycled, I have still lost a few snails. Granted they came from a big chain store called Meijer and they were never in the best of health to begin with, I'm still kind of concerned.

16. Bijou88

If you're using a water softener you probably need to add minerals back in, without them the snails won't do well at all. You also need to weight down veggies that float, i use a rubber band and attach them to a rock, others user clips etc. For easy access for the snails, veggies should be on or near the bottom of the tank.
    Also, you'd be better off using romaine lettuce or spinach since it has more nutritional value.

17. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I've got the perfect idea. I could put my new shrimp tubes on top of a piece of lettuce

18. Bijou88

Or you could rubber band it around the outside of the tubes, that way they could graze along the surface, i worry it will wiggle loose if it's just under the tubes....

19. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Your snails or livebearers will not survive in softened water without mineral replacement of some kind. Some of these types listed they can ingest will help but 0 degree GH will lead to problems with pretty much all fish. Even "soft" water fish need minerals of some kind.

Did we talk about this in another thread? I can't remember but you can add Seachems Replenish which is just liquid calcium/magnesium, and/or a bag of crushed coral put in a media bag inside your filters will go a long way in helping out your snails and other fish.

20. Kyle 2048

The lettuce is high in calcium so it will help the snail if he eats it.

Kyle