How do i get air bubbles off of my sand bottom (first time with sand)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by reaper12122, Jan 5, 2013.

1. reaper12122Valued MemberMember

there seems to be air bubbles with like sand attached to them lol i was just wondering how to get rid of that or stop that from happening? any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

You could poke or stir around the bottom with a stick to release some of the air bubbles. Or you could get some mts or loaches to stir it up for you.

3. retlafNew MemberMember

I just got over the exact same problem! I had those pesky balls when I put my sand in and they wouldn't go away no matter how long they would soak. I ended up giving up and turning the filter on to start cycling. It turned out that once the water had some current in it, the balls started going away. Some of them would float to the top (I scooped them out) but after a few days, there were no more balls on the sand. I got a whole lot of sand in my HOB impeller, though. :p

4. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

I wonder if a bubble wand would help just so that an impeller doesn't get damaged?

Great advice Retlaf and Welcome!!

5. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

If they are on the substrate just after adding sand, I would use a large flat object like a plate to push down on the sand to pop them, ones that float up can be popped.

6. EchostaticWell Known MemberMember

From what I've heard, MTS and sand go together like butter on bread. I'd get some even if you get the air bubble problem fixed.

7. retlafNew MemberMember

Just to add to my post, I did try many things before running the filter, like pressing the sand, running a net through it, etc. These things might be worth trying yourself since I have read about people having success with them, but if they don't work, try adding current. Good luck!

8. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

My big tank has been set up since the end of August and every once in a while It still belches a bunch of bubbles - it's like a little mini volcano of air. It hasn't bothered any of the tank inhabitants yet. In fact, once there was a cory right in the spot where it happened and after his little "ride" he came back to the exact same spot like he wanted to do it again.

9. reaper12122Valued MemberMember

lol Thanks guys i got them under control now i put two power heads in and started up my fluval 306 and bubbles are gone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice