How Do I Fix The 'green Water' Problem?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by InsanityShard, Jul 9, 2019.

1. InsanityShard

InsanityShardWell Known MemberMember

I've been having algae issues in both my tanks again, despite the lower natural light from Winter. I've been adding new decorations to both tanks, including plants, but I can't seem to shake it. Now the wate ris continuously coloured in both tanks, and there's some very stubborn short algae on the glass of my 10g since my beautiful Betta girl has been eating all the miniature ramshorns.
    The tanks have good water parameters, the big 60g gets changed once a month by about half its volume, and has the worse algae issue. It has 2 plants right now, will be getting more- an Amazon Sword currently free floating as I have not found a suitable pot yet, and a very large Anubias on some driftwood. No more of that white blackbeard algae, I figured out that stuff loved the water flow and just having the filters off for a couple of days with thorough cleaning every day fixed that. It's Winter now, so the tanks have their heaters in, and less light, only 6-8 hours a day, so I'm assuming it's the nutrient balance. How do I fix that? Will adding more plants help?
    I can't add any more to my 10g though, it has a lot of free floating elodea and a mystery plant, as well as some lilaeopsis grass. The mystery snail and malaysian trumpet snails either ignore the algae or cannot keep up with it.

2. LadyArtemis

LadyArtemisValued MemberMember

Hi! What specifically are your water parameters? Do you test for phosphates? The dreaded green water is usually some single cell algae, though it could be a bacterial algae, too. Check your phosphates and try using Phosguard and Purigen in your filter media. If that doesn’t polish it out, it could be bacterial in which case a short course of EM would do the trick, at least it has for me. I’m always hesitant to use the specifically marketed “algae removers” as I had a bad experience with one some time ago. I’m guessing those might be bad for the plants too.

3. OP
    OP
    InsanityShard

InsanityShardWell Known MemberMember

I don't test for phosphates, but I've used Purigen before. The filter that had it broke though. I'll try stuffing some Purigen into my current filter, though. Thanks. =D