Help How do I find and capture fry?!

Blue1314

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My guppy finally gave birth and I need to catch the fry so that I can relocate them. Any tips on how to do this? It's really hard to find them.

Treestone

Reaction score
Don't worry if you can't find them because there always will be more but if you manage to find them before they're eaten just put them into a net in the main tank for them to grow a bit. Or even better I made a large fry net just out of some netting from the craft store and worked a treat until I had a tank free to move the fry into

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is your tank densely planted? A pic would be great.

Lowering the water volume considerably is always helpful.

Kitley

Reaction score
I had my first guppy fry today. They are in my 15 gallon qt tank. I moved out the 2 remaining guppies to my main tank..leavings babes and Mom in the small tank. Tomorrow...when Mom should be done I will move her to the large tank. In the meantime I have several fake plants and guppy grass, and made a yarn mop. I went this route as I decided I could never find and net the fry. We will see how it goes. Counted 7 fry earlier and only 4 an hour ago. They move super fast and like to hide. Good luck to you.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A turkey baster will suck them up when you see them. but be warned they will continue to reproduce so unless your looking to do a lot of tanks your better off letting nature take its course and let the strong survive. Not the nicest thing to say but it's the way of life for guppy keepers.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I let the females drop then remove them and raise the fry in the tank they were born in, then I separate the sexes at about one month.

OP
Blue1314

Blue1314

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Here's my tank. I collected 7-8 if them and have them in a breeder box. Once they grow big enough so that they won't get sucked up by my filter I'll put them in the main tank.
IMG_20200601_115655.jpg

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In general I do like to let the born fry stay with the parents. Mine are not really fry eaters.
Overhere a week old fry.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fry boxes are fine for very temporary, but you'll want to get them into a tank to get any kind of decent growth.

New Threads